Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everybody! I'm currently dual booting ubuntu and XP 32 bit operating systems and am considering switching to a 64 bit linux OS because way back when I first installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 Questions About Dual Booting 32 & 64 bit OS

Hi Everybody!
    I'm currently dual booting ubuntu and XP 32 bit operating systems and am considering switching to a 64 bit linux OS because way back when I first installed ubuntu I chose an i686 architecture instead of AMD64 when I first installed ubuntu.

So My first question is if I switch from i686 to AMD on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 +3800 will I stand to gain a performance boost of any sort.

My second partition partition contains Windows XP Pro and I figure if I reformat my ext4 partition containing ubuntu I will just back up all my important files to my NFTS partition.

However will I have any troubles mounting and using files from the NFTS partition containing 32 bit XP from an AMD64 Linux OS?
    Last edited by Hilariousity2; 04-19-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: because I can LOL

hi and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hilariousity2 View Post
    So My first question is if I switch from i686 to AMD on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 +3800 will I stand to gain a performance boost of any sort.
    no
    64bit is mainly about being able to use more than 3,5GByte of RAM

However will I have any troubles mounting and using files from the NFTS partition containing 32 bit XP from an AMD64 Linux OS?
    no
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I agree with Irithori, but would add that 64 bit can also cause problems with flash player (and maybe others also) - you need to do some messing around for not much gain...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

oz
    forum.guy

Hello and welcome!

I'd have to agree with the others and say "no" to both questions. If you have more than 4GB of RAM, I'd definitely recommend going with 64-bit Linux. Otherwise, it's a matter of personal choice. All that said, I've been running 64-bit for about 2 years now and have never had any issues with it, so it's highly unlikely that I'd ever downgrade to 32-bit Linux.
    oz