Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Linux, but am intrigued by the variety and functionality it offers over Windows. I have an external HDD from which I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot MINT on External HDD

Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Linux, but am intrigued by the variety and functionality it offers over Windows. I have an external HDD from which I would like to dual boot Linux Mint, with Windows Vista (64 Bit) remaining on the primary internal HDD. I know that my BIOS supports dual booting and booting from USB devices (my external HDD). Are there any specific dangers I need to be aware of? Is it as simple as putting in the installation disc and selecting my external HDD? Thanks in advance,
    Glitch

Just Joined!
    I think that's pretty much it. Boot to the CD and if you can select the external Hard Drive than you're good to go.

Just Joined!
    Thanks dude, keep ya posted!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi and Welcome !

Disable Internal Hard disk in BIOS before starting installation. Most of the time, installer installs Linux Boot Loader in MBR of Internal Disk and in that case, both OSes will become dependent on External Disk. None of OS will boot up with External Disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OK so I remove my primary (Windows) HDD from the list of boot options in my BIOS instead of putting it to lowest priority? Makes sense I guess. Do I need to format the HDD completely when I install MINT, bearing in mind there are some files on there already, or will MINT just annihilate everything for me? @devils casper, nice icon....wait....thats not Linux....

You do not need to format, Mint will do it for you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Guess I'll have to sacrafice my backups. K, going for it now.

You can create new partitions manually and there is no need to sacrifice backups. 10GB+ space is enough for Mint.

Boot up from Mint LiveCD and open Disk Utility package. Its in Administrative menu. Shrink existing partition(s) and create two new partitions.

10GB, ext3 for /
    1GB, SWAP

Start installation and select Manual Partitioning in Partition section. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Continue installation. Installer will detect SWAP partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OK, Thanks for the help guys.

Just Joined!
    Why ext3? ext4 tends to be noticeably faster and it's backwards compatible with ext3. I think Mint requires about 7 GiB, but 10 is better.

Personally, I make four partitions on a DOS extended -- one for root, one for /usr and one for /home, with the /usr partition being the biggest, as that's where most software and libraries go.