Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place... I'm finishing school in a few weeks, and after that I'd like to install Linux on my laptop. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Booting with LiveCD

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...
    I'm finishing school in a few weeks, and after that I'd like to install Linux on my laptop. I'm not computer savvy at all, but I've been wanting to try Linux for some time, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to use MS Office anymore (which I really need for classes, so I didn't want to take the chance)
    Anyway, here is my question: I would like first to try booting on a Live CD (I'm thinking Ubuntu, from what I've read), and I would like to know if I will be able to try my different peripherals to check their compatibility with Ubuntu this way? I'm thinking external hard drives, cameras, MP3 player...

Thanks for your help,

LiLea

I would like to know if I will be able to try my different peripherals to check their compatibility with Ubuntu this way? I'm thinking external hard drives, cameras, MP3 player...
    Yes you can. The concept of running live is so for you to see what is supported out of the box in the cd and if needed. you can tweak things while running live to connect up certain hardware also using the internet. No changes will be saved though after a reboot.

I get around from loosing changes running live Linux by making a Live USB with Persistence. There are plenty of Tutorials at Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux on how o do this.

My AntiX 8.5 has a persistent install feature in the control panel running live cd.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    That's perfect!! Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed!
    I can't wait to start using Linux