Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Here is the output from PartedMagic and the attachment is Disk Management from windows. root@PartedMagic:~# fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders Units ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Here is the output from PartedMagic and the attachment is Disk Management from windows.

root@PartedMagic:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x04740473

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 31871 256003776 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 31872 33783 15358140 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 33784 35695 15358140 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000207286272 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x34078fc8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 121601 976760001 7 HPFS/NTFS
    root@PartedMagic:~#
    Attached Files Attached Files

You have a lot of free space 600+ GB available in first Hard disk.
    I would suggest you to delete last twp 14GB Partitions and create a little big NTFS partition instead. You have Hard disk of 1 TB Size and small partitions will just increase partition number only.

1 Windows OS
    2, 3 NTFS partitions
    4 Create an Extended Partition
    5 Create Logical Partitions inside Extended Partition.
    You can create as many partitions inside Extended as you like.
    For OpenSUSE, create 1GB SWAP, 10GB ext3 for / and 10+GB ext3 for /home using PartedMagic LiveCD. Start installation and select Manual Partitioning in partition section. Assign / mount point to 10GB ext3 and /home to other ext3 partition. Installer will detect SWAP and Windows OS partitions. It will setup dual boot itself.

You can install as many OSes as you like. I have Windows OS + 5 Linux OSes in my test machine.

Do let us know how it goes !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I would suggest you to delete last twp 14GB Partitions and create a little big NTFS partition instead.

What do you mean by "little big NTFS partition"?

2, 3 NTFS partitions
    I thought you said to delete these 2 partitions?

For OpenSUSE, create 1GB SWAP, 10GB ext3 for / and 10+GB ext3 for /home using PartedMagic LiveCD.
    Not sure how to do this?

That was just a suggestion. Partition structure of your Hard disk depends on you only. I have 500GB disk in one of my machine and this is partition structure of my Hard disk.

1. 20 GB Windows OS
    2. 75 GB for Fun stuff
    3. 75 GB for Documents only
    4. Extended partition
    * Partition below are Logical Partitions inside Extended Partition
    5. 100 GB for backups and other stuff
    6. 1GB SWAP
    7, 8 and 9. 10GB to 20GB partitions for Linux distros.

Rest of space is used for 2 empty partitions and I haven't decided what should I do with those.

You have 1 TB Hard disk and partition structure should be really neat and well managed imho. As I mentioned earlier, partition structure depends on you only. You can create 60+ Logical Partitions inside Extended partition.

Delete last 2 NTFS partitions and create 2 new bigger NTFS partitions. Select rest of free/unpartitioned space and select Create Extended Partition in Parted Magic. Create 3 new partitions inside Extended for Linux.

Just Joined!
    Ok I have tried all of this, and I understand up to this point. I have tried this twice and this has brought up somemore questions, if you don't mind.

1. I deleted all but my 1st primary partition(/dev/sda1), and created a second primary partition 20GB in size (/dev/sda2), formatted NTFS. I would like to install SUSE 11.2 onto sda2. The partition tool in SUSE is not allowing me to do this. What am I missing or do I not understand how to work the partition tool in SUSE?

2. I went ahead and let SUSE install with the defaults, worked fine, see defaults below. However I noticed that I was booting from GRUB and not the windows boot menu. Can I get this to work and still be able to use the windows boot menu?
    Create Extended Partition /dev/sda3 15.78GB
    Create Swap Partition /dev/sda5 1.73GB
    Create Root Partition /dev/sda6 6.09GB with ext4
    Create Partion /dev/sda7 7.96GB for /home with ext4
    Set Mount Point of /dev/sda1 to /windows/c

3. When I deleted the SUSE partitions and kept my primary OS, windows, it would no longer boot to windows. It came up missing ntldr and would not boot to windows anymore. No worries I am now using a 20GB test HDD with no data on it. Just the OS's. Can I delete SUSE once I build the dual boot machine and go back to just windows?
    Thanks,
    Jim

1. I deleted all but my 1st primary partition(/dev/sda1), and created a second primary partition 20GB in size (/dev/sda2), formatted NTFS. I would like to install SUSE 11.2 onto sda2. The partition tool in SUSE is not allowing me to do this. What am I missing or do I not understand how to work the partition tool in SUSE?
    SUSE and most of other distros use same partition tool, parted in the back-end. It is not different from any other tool. Were you trying to install SUSE in NTFS partition?
    2. I went ahead and let SUSE install with the defaults, worked fine, see defaults below. However I noticed that I was booting from GRUB and not the windows boot menu. Can I get this to work and still be able to use the windows boot menu?
    What is a problem with SUSE's Boot Loader? Its a lot more configurable and easy to use than Windows Boot Loader.
    For Windows Boot Loader, you have to install SUSE's GRUB in boot sector of its partition, create its image using dd command, copy it to C:\ and edit boot.ini file.
    3. When I deleted the SUSE partitions and kept my primary OS, windows, it would no longer boot to windows. It came up missing ntldr and would not boot to windows anymore. No worries I am now using a 20GB test HDD with no data on it. Just the OS's. Can I delete SUSE once I build the dual boot machine and go back to just windows?
    If you don't change anything in Windows OS then nothing will go wrong. Just delete SUSE partitions, boot up from Windows OS installation CD and re-install Windows Boot Loader ( execute fixmbr or fixboot command ).

Just Joined!
    1. Yes It was an NTFS partiton

2. My biggest concern was being able to delete SUSE if I did not want it anymore, or any other systems I end up putting on here. Maybe 3 or 4. I was under the impression that if I did not use grub I could delete the SUSE partitions without affecting the windows boot. That was my concern.

3. Is there a step by step to install GRUB in the boot sector of its partition? Is it worth doing? I just want to make sure I don't screw up my primary partion.

I really appreciate it I am just trying to make sure I understand everything before installing to my actual drive. I am trying to learn linux from the ground up.

1. Yes It was an NTFS partiton
    You can't install Linux in NTFS Partition. Partition must be formatted in Linux based file system only.
    There is no need to use Windows Boot Loader. You can remove GRUB any time easily.
    After deleting Linux partition(s), boot up from Windows OS installation CD and select Repair. Execute fixmbr command at repair prompt. This will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up on reboot.

Just Joined!
    OK I will try it this way and see what happens. I will let you know.
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    Ok I tried fixboot and fixmbr. It still does not fix the boot sector. I still cannot boot into windows after deleting the extended partition. What should I try next?
    Also is it neccessary to use 3 extended partitions and if so what is the purpose? Can I install on 1 partition?
    What is the purpose of mounting a drive and can I do this before insalling the OS?
    Please help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast