Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Ok I tried fixboot and fixmbr. It still does not fix the boot sector. I still cannot boot into windows after deleting the extended partition. What should I try next? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ok I tried fixboot and fixmbr. It still does not fix the boot sector. I still cannot boot into windows after deleting the extended partition. What should I try next?
    Boot up from SuperGRUB CD/USB and select Fix Windows Boot option.
    Also is it neccessary to use 3 extended partitions and if so what is the purpose? Can I install on 1 partition?
    Its 3 Logical Partitions. You can not create more than one Extended Partition in single Hard disk. You can install Linux in Single Partition too. I think I suggested you to do that only.

What is the purpose of mounting a drive and can I do this before insalling the OS?
    I am not getting it. Mounting partition means 'make it available to access data'.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I will try the supergrub.
    What I am wondering is do you have to use 3 logical partition? A swap, /, /home or can you just use one logical partition?
    I tried mounting all 3 logical partitions like you said but SUSE would not recognize the partitions. SUSE wanted to delete the Logical Partitions and recreate them. I had never heard of mounting a drive before so I was not sure how to do it.

Suse installer will format those partitions, if necessary. Select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section. Select first Logical Partition and assign it / mount point. Select other partition and assign /home mount point to it. SuSe installer will detect SWAP partition itself.

If you don't want to create multiple partitions, assign / mount point only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Is the swap drive neccessary? My understanding is that it's basically failover memmory. However I have 4G of Mem in my system. I will try but I am not sure that SUSE will allow installation without a Swap drive. Am I incorrect?

If you have 2GB or more RAM then there is no need of SWAP Partition. SuSe installer will work fine without SWAP partition.

Just Joined!
    I built the dual boot system. I then deleted the SUSE partition, as usual it would not boot to windows. I booted to the super grup cd, went to detect any os, it found the Windows OS, if I press enter on the Windows OS it will boot to the windows OS. But that does not fix the boot partition. I then selected e for edit on the windows os, it showed the following
    set root=hd0,1
    chainloader +1
    How do I fix the boot partion to boot to windows? I cannot find any utility to fix the MBR.

Is there any option in SuperGRUB CD to fix Windows Boot?

Try fixmbr command one again. Do not execute any other command at Windows OS Repair prompt. Execute fixmbr and reboot machine.

Is there any option in SuperGRUB CD to fix Windows Boot?

Try fixmbr command one again. Do not execute any other command at Windows OS Repair prompt. Execute fixmbr and reboot machine.

Just Joined!
    There is no option to repair boot sector or anything else. The only way to get to the boot sector is as described previously.
    I tried fixmbr from the recovery console on the xp cd again and rebooted. It still will not boot.

Linux User
    I tried fixmbr from the recovery console
    on the xp cd again and rebooted. It still will not boot.
    Likely your MS Windows partiton is not set bootable (Active), I do not have a SuperGRUB CD so can not tell you how to check or set.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast