Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I am a newbie to Linux, having used windows all my life, so please bear with me. I am trying to build a dual boot PC. I have a SATA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot XP(primary) and SUSE 9.2

I am a newbie to Linux, having used windows all my life, so please bear with me. I am trying to build a dual boot PC. I have a SATA Terabyte HDD split into partitions, an Intel 2.5Ghz processor, SATA CD-ROM. I have Windows XP Pro SP3 in the first partion 250G, formatted in NTFS. I have 2 more 10G partitions with nothing on them formatted in NTFS. I am trying to install SUSE 9.2 on the 2nd partition. When I put the first CD in the CD-Rom and boot into the CD, I choose SUSE 9.2, the following error message comes up, You are about to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit computer. I click OK and choose installation and it loads the kernel, then the following message comes up, Could not find the SUSE Linux CD. I click OK and it says activating manual setup program. Then when I choose CD-ROM for the installation it says Unable to mount CD-ROM. How to I build a dual boot system and put SUSE 9.2 on my second partition? I also want to install SUSE 11 on my 3rd partition. Please help. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello gymiv,

Welcome!

I will try to see if I get your problem right. Now its my turn to say, please bear with me .

I have a SATA Terabyte HDD split into partitions, an Intel 2.5Ghz processor, SATA CD-ROM. I have Windows XP Pro SP3 in the first partion 250G, formatted in NTFS.
    Ok....

I have 2 more 10G partitions with nothing on them formatted in NTFS. I am trying to install SUSE 9.2 on the 2nd partition.
    This should have been formatted as ext3 and not NTFS...

When I put the first CD in the CD-Rom and boot into the CD, I choose SUSE 9.2, the following error message comes up, You are about to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit computer.
    You might encounter lesser issues if you try to install the proper version needed for your 64 bit machine. You can download and burn the proper ISO from their site.

How to I build a dual boot system and put SUSE 9.2 on my second partition? I also want to install SUSE 11 on my 3rd partition. Please help.
    If I were to do a multiple partition on my machine, I would be preparing my HD ahead of time by resizing and formatting each partition before I do any installations. I use gparted for this. You might want to try it too. You can use a live cd that has gparted installed like Linux MInt. Or any other available distros. Use it to format the 2nd and 3rd partition. Then try to install again.

Please feel free to give a feedback on how things are going and we will see how we can help you complete your task.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Is there any reason for installing SuSe 9.2? It an obsolete distro and not supported now. It looks like it doesn't support latest hardware too. You should install latest version only.

If you have 4GB or more RAM, go for 64bit version. For less than 4GB RAM, 32bit is good and there won't be any performance issues.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK i will scrap 9.2. It was a distro that a friend gave me a while ago and I never got around to it. I downloaded SUSE 11.2. I don't mean to sound stupid but can you explain 32bit and 64bit and what it has to do with memory. I am used to looking at windows as a 32 bit system but that has nothing to do with memory. I also know that 64 bit has alot of driver issues in windows. The safer one to use would seem to be 32 bit, anyway that is my reasoning. The one I downloaded was the 32 bit. I do have 4G of ram in my machine. Also how do I format the secondary partition, my first partition, with xp on it, is formatted ntfs. I am still trying to figure out linux terms and the how to's so a dummy explanation may be needed if possible. I am a windows sys admin but I feel like I never touched a computer before in linux. Your patience is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Hello again Jim,

With regards to the 32 bit and 64 bit question, I am also still trying understand the difference so I think the gurus can explain it better to both of us.

However,

Also how do I format the secondary partition, my first partition, with xp on it, is formatted ntfs.
    Your first partition (xp) is already fine as ntfs. I would not touch it anymore if you are already fine with it. I would also assume that it is also a Primary partition.

The gparted partition editor is a very user friendly took since it is GUI. You can click on some choices and drag to shrink or expand chosen partitions. You can also use it to format the partition where you wish to install your suse 11.2 (ext3 or ext4). You will also be asked again however about this formatting thing when you do the actual installation of suse.

I hope you can get your hands on one so you can personally experience gparted and use it to achieve what you are trying to do.

Good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Is gparted on the installation cd or where do i get it? Can I format my 2nd partion using windows and then do the install?

I would suggest you to download PartedMagic LiveCD. It is one of the best partition manager having a lot of other utilities.

Shrink existing and create 3 new partitions for OpenSUSE. SWAP, / and /home.

Post existing partition structure here before creating new partitions. Boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    Or type diskmgmt.msc in Run dialog box of Windows OS and post its screenshot here.

I would suggest you to download PartedMagic LiveCD. It is one of the best partition manager having a lot of other utilities.

Shrink existing and create 3 new partitions for OpenSUSE. SWAP, / and /home.
    This would be best really. A complete "tool box" do help you do your chores
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Should I delete all partitions exept for my primary, of course before i do this? Do you have a link for the download?

Do not delete any partition yet. Post the output of fdisk -l command or screenshot as suggested earlier.

You can download PartedMagic LiveCD/USB from here. Make sure to burn .iso image as an Image only. Do not create Data or bootable disk. Select Burn Image to Disk option in your CD/DVD burning package.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast