Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, Here is my scenario: I have an old P4 desktop just sitting in a corner doing nothing. It's a P4 3.40Ghz, 4GB DDR2 533 or maybe 400Mhz ram, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Install Ubuntu from a remote PC

Hey everyone,

Here is my scenario:
    I have an old P4 desktop just sitting in a corner doing nothing. It's a P4 3.40Ghz, 4GB DDR2 533 or maybe 400Mhz ram, 80GB WD HDD....etc, etc.
    It currently has Windows XP Pro installed on it now. If i turn it on i can remote into it and use it no problem. It does not have a keyboard, mouse or monitor attached to it.

My question is:
    Can i use something like Nlite to make an ubuntu CD with all the install questions pre-answered? Or is there some way i can install Ubuntu on it without having to plug a monitor into it and doing it from the box itself? I don't care about the XP installation that' on there. I'm looking to format the drive and only have Ubuntu installed on the machine. Is this at all possible? Maybe with some sort of install script or something like that?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you thought about a KVM switch to allow you to remote control the system from your regular desktop? I've don't that a lot with headless systems were I really needed direct control of them, for much the same reason as you. That way I can also diddle with the BIOS settings if necessary. I've found 2 and 4 port KVM switches on Buy.com for under $30 USD.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hey Rubberman,

A KVM switch would be a good way to go, but the PC's are on opposited ends of the office.

I could just bring the one over here and plug my monitor and keyboard into it to do the install, but i was hoping there was a remote way to do it. Maybe with some sort of custom cd and install script.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    On some systems, it is possible to use an ethernet port as a console. Most PC's won't allow that, easily, but a lot of servers that are intended for headless operation will. Usually they have 2 ethernet ports - one for normal network operations, and the other for either that or for use as a console "port". In those cases, you can usually use telnet or ssh to connect to the server, and get startup and shutdown messages. Sometimes you can even access the bios that way.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!