Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks for all your help, windows starts fine and everything seems to be in order... i have 2 questions: 1- can i have that original menu that lets me choose ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks for all your help, windows starts fine and everything seems to be in order...
    i have 2 questions:
    1- can i have that original menu that lets me choose between operating systems hidden unless i press any key, like i did before?
    2- theres 2 fedoras on that same menu when i boot up. Do i need both of them? if not how do i get rid of that option so i just have fedora and windows?

thanks again for your help

1- can i have that original menu that lets me choose between operating systems hidden unless i press any key, like i did before?
    You can disable GRUB Menu by removing # sign before hiddenmenu line in grub.conf file.
    2- theres 2 fedoras on that same menu when i boot up. Do i need both of them? if not how do i get rid of that option so i just have fedora and windows?
    Two kernel versions have been installed and you can remove earlier version. First of all, boot up latest version and check if everything works fine. If there isn't any problem like Graphics, Wireless or anything else, remove earlier version.

Code:
    su -
    package-cleanup --oldkernels
    In case above command doesn't remove earlier version, un-install it manually using rpm command.
    Code:
    su -
    rpm -q kernel
    rpm -e kernel-<version>
    Make sure to replace <version> with earlier kernel version only. Check the output of first command and note down kernel versions.
    Last edited by devils casper; 05-02-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: minor typo
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks man.... you were a great help!

Just Joined!
    how did changing that 0 to the 1 effect windows being started?

Change default value in grub.conf file. If you have removed one of the kernel then title Windows OS is second title line in grub.conf file. As Grub starts counting from 0, default value should be 1 to set Windows OS as default OS.

Set default value to 1.
    Code:
    default=1
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu

title Fedora (2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686 ro root=UUID=970fb0b3-75bf-475f-afe9-0d6cb26ef147 noiswmd LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
    initrd /initramfs-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.img

title Windows OS
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2