Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm a linux newb and I am in some trouble. I installed Ubuntu on a portable usb drive using a live CD. But now my computer NEEDS the USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] GRUB is accidentally on my USB drive

Hey, I'm a linux newb and I am in some trouble.

I installed Ubuntu on a portable usb drive using a live CD. But now my computer NEEDS the USB plugged in in order to access the GRUB on it so I can boot into Windows from my hard drive. If I boot up my computer without the USB drive plugged in my computer gives me the prompt "Rescue grub" with the ability to type stuff in. I tried to use F12 on startup of my computer in order to tell it to boot using my hard drive (where my Windows 7 is installed) but still no luck.

If the USB drive is plugged in at start up, I get a neat little menu giving me a choice of booting into either Ubuntu, Windows 7, or the memory test. And all of that works fine.

Basically, the problem is, I want to boot into Windows without needing that darn USB drive having to be plugged in when I start my computer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

you can insert your Windows installation CD and select "Repair" from the menu (after selecting some options like keyboard and stuff..).
    Then enter
    Code:
    bootsect /nt60 C:\
    Now your MBR should be repaired. If Grub was really installed on the USB drive, you should be able to boot Linmux still from that once plugged in.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    The following come from Saikee's Just Booting Tips on the Just Linux forum.

1 Using a Windows installation disc:
    Boot up the installation disc
    Choose your language
    Click "next"
    Click "Repair your computer"

OR
    2 Using Windows on the HD
    Boot into Windows.
    If the booting instructions are still available (Use bcdedit /enum to see), then at a command prompt type
    Code:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by its_really_me View Post
    you can insert your Windows installation CD and select "Repair" from the menu (after selecting some options like keyboard and stuff..).
    Then enter
    Code:
    bootsect /nt60 C:\
    Now your MBR should be repaired. If Grub was really installed on the USB drive, you should be able to boot Linmux still from that once plugged in.
    Many thanks! That did the trick!