Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried installing Xubuntu on a really old laptop I have (it's like, 5 years old) and I keep having the same problem. When I put the disc in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xubuntu install problems on really old laptop

I have tried installing Xubuntu on a really old laptop I have (it's like, 5 years old) and I keep having the same problem. When I put the disc in a try booting into it, it shows the word "Xubuntu" on the screen for about a minute. Then the screen goes black, and the computer won't respond and the screen (it's hooked up to an external monitor, the built in one broke, but you can see a very faint image) goes into sleep mode. The hard drive light stays off too. I've tried leaving in that state for a few hours, to see what would happen, but nothing does. The computer has XP installed, and can boot into it just fine. It has a 1.5 Ghz processor, and 256 MB of RAM.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

If you haven't done so already, you might try the "alternate install CD". It's not a liveCD but a text only installer and it works for me every time whereas the liveCD doesn't.

Hope it works if you try it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, I'll try that. I'm downloading the ISO right now. I'm also getting a different ISO burning software. The other one I used threw an error code and closed the first time I tried opening it.

Edit: Dang it, I burned the disc, and checked it. Two sectors weren't correct. I tried installing it anyway. Didn't work and now I'm out of blank CD's. I'll try picking some up later.