Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all , I am a beginner in Linux . Can anyone suggest the best distro for a fresher ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux distro to install

Hi all , I am a beginner in Linux . Can anyone suggest the best distro for a fresher ?

Just Joined!

hi

install

redhat linux
    fedora
    suse

this and all i used one ...ya .....

Hi and Welcome !

Could post your machine's specs? Check this Poll on best distro for new users.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

RE:Machine configuration

I have a lenovo Y-410 , 1GB ram and have installed windows on one of the drives . I want to use Linux for Java development and internet , Please suggest me a befitting disto .

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Any of the top 5 or so listed in the Page Hits Rankings Chart found at DistroWatch.com should work fine and are suitable for new Linux users.

Best of luck to you with Linux.
    oz

Banned
    Start with Ubuntu, more primitive first then some advance distros later, eventually move to Fedora.

Fedora is great for Business Applications, even for some serious Server platform.

Quote Originally Posted by kirna_cyberpro
    Fedora is great for Business Applications, even for some serious Server platform.
    Fedora is a test-rat of RedHat Labs and it can never be great for Business Applications. A distro having such a short life-cycle doesn't qualify for Production Servers.

CentOS or Debian are good for Server, IMHO.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I would have to say that Ubuntu would be the best for a new user. Synanptic works great for installing new software, It's very easy to get used to, minimal terminal use. And the hardware detection is top notch. Most of the settings that you would need to change are in the gui form. I like Linux Mint also, but you might as well just call it Ubuntu with a couple of different graphical tools to use.

Just Joined!
    I like Debian. A lot of people say it isnt for noobs, but I think its really easy to use. If youre not sure, Ubuntu is almost identical, but easier to use and better automatic hardware detection.

-Chris P