Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I have a touchscreen xscale device that I would like to turn into a picture viewer. Currently the device has: Linux version 2.6.21.7-hrt1-WR2.0bl_standard (gcc version 4.1.2) CPU: XScale-IXP42x ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Completely Clueless - help with Linux/Xscale

Hello All,

I have a touchscreen xscale device that I would like to turn into a picture viewer. Currently the device has: Linux version 2.6.21.7-hrt1-WR2.0bl_standard (gcc version 4.1.2)
    CPU: XScale-IXP42x Family [690541c1] revision 1 (ARMv5TE), cr=000039ff
    Machine: Intel IXDP425 Development Platform

Heres the clueless part. I can see the bootup from the serial port connected to my PC but the screen on the device is blank.

Is there a way to get a "windows" look, maybe ubuntu?? Or some kind of graphical interface??

I apologize but I am almost completely new to Linux. I know some basic commands but thats where it ends.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to install the X-Windows packages on the system, along with a lightweight GUI desktop manager such as xfce. Is this a Debian distribution? If so, then you can use the apt-get package manager tools to download/install the necessary packages. I have Debian (also with 2.6.21 kernel) on an ARM9 processor embedded system and with it connected to my local network, I can run x applications on the device, with the display running on my x86 workstation's desktop. Since I don't have a display on the device itself (just a serial or telnet connection), I cannot directly display GUI applications on the device, which is what you want to do.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman!!!

Could you point me in the direction of the X-windows? Does this run on the PC or the device? I apologize but I'm lost lol, I've done alot of searching/reading and I think I'm making this harder than it is. On a scale from 1 - 10 my linux knowledge is probably a 2 lol. I'm not sure how to tell if I have Debian.

Thanks again for the help!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, who did you purchase this board and toolkit from? You say it is an Intel dev kit, so have you looked on the Intel web site for more info, help, etc?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Its just a display we had laying around the lab. The problem is I don't know what to look for. If there was instructions that said I need X, Y, and Z to run an app then I think I could handle it. I must be looking in the wrong place because I don't see any such instructions.