Find the answer to your Linux question:
Absolute newbie on Linux. Bought a copy of Unbuntu 10.4. The live version will load and run fine. Goes through the whole installation process okay, seems to be okay. Try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing Unbuntu

Absolute newbie on Linux. Bought a copy of Unbuntu 10.4. The live version will load and run fine. Goes through the whole installation process okay, seems to be okay. Try to boot it up and it gets to [2.212613] [<fffffff 81014e0>] ?child_rip +0X0/0X20 and freezes. Tried reloading it, same result. Tried live version, no problem, just slow. Background on machine, AMD64X2, Asus MSN-SLi mobo, NVida 7300 video card.

Any help would be appreciated. Feel like I am trying to learn DOS over again.

Hi and Welcome !

Did installer throw any error during install process? It looks like installation was not successful.

Does GRUB Menu appear at startup? Check if machine boot up in command line mode on selecting Recovery/Rescue in GRUB Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Did installer throw any error during install process? It looks like installation was not successful.

Does GRUB Menu appear at startup? Check if machine boot up in command line mode on selecting Recovery/Rescue in GRUB Menu.
    No errors during install. I guess the GRUB menu is there, it asks if I want to boot XP or Ubuntu. I have no idea how to check the machine boot up in command line!?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I guess the GRUB menu is there, it asks if I want to boot XP or Ubuntu.
    Check GRUB Menu again. It must have four options. Windows OS, Ubuntu, MemTest and Rescue mode. Try to boot up in Rescue mode.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First