Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can anyone guide me (step by step) on how I can make my CDRW work in linux? I've got an IDE CDRW and as far as I can remember, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

CDRW

Can anyone guide me (step by step) on how I can make my CDRW work in linux? I've got an IDE CDRW and as far as I can remember, I need some correct modules and add a line to grub.conf (or menu.lst).
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    check out the post installation section of my guide (page 2)
    also, what distro are you using?
    depending on which one you are using you may need to enable scsi emulation on the drive. some software does that for you - like k3b.
    I need more info to help more though.

Linux Guru
    Otherwise, there is always the CD-Writing HOWTO on tldp. Just make sure to load ide-scsi and also to pass ide-scsi=hdx to the kernel at boot, where hdx should, of course, be replaced with the Linux IDE name of the CDRW drive. The latter is to prevent the IDE code from claiming the drive at boot, so that ide-scsi can claim it instead.

Linux Engineer
    Once I use 'ide-scsi=hdc', do I now refer my cd drive as /dev/scd0 for everything?

Linux Guru
    If you use ide-scsi=hdc, it reserves hdc for the ide-scsi module, by not making the IDE CDROM code claim it. You'll first need to load the ide-scsi module (if you haven't built it into your kernel, that is) to be able to use it with /dev/scd0.

Linux Engineer
    Well, considering that the module is either builtin or loaded at boot, do I refer my cdrom as /dev/scd0 for everything? For example, would I need to change /etc/fstab so that the cdrom line looks at /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/hdc? Would I have to reconfigure XMMS so that it looks at /dev/scd0?

Linux Guru
    Indeed. One IDE drive can only be used by one userspace interface module. I don't _really_ know why, but that's the way it is. So you'll have to choose between either /dev/hdc _or_ /dev/scd0, but once you've chosen, the only way to change it is to either reboot or reload the necessary modules.

Linux Engineer

TAO vs DAO

As I was reading through the guide on "CD-Writing Howto," I came to a question that I couldn't answer. While I know the differences between TAO and DAO, would there be any difference between choosing both these methods to write a data cd?

Linux Enthusiast
    yes track at once and disk at once are different
    tao would be used more for audio cd's for example as it loads each track one by one into the buffer
    dao loads the entire file into the buffer at once

at least this is true to my knowledge.

Linux Engineer
    Actually, I am very aware of the difference between the two methods. Perhaps my question wasn't clear in the previous post so I'll ask it again. Is there a difference between the two methods when writing a data cd?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast