Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try to install Ubuntu 8.10 I get that screen with the orange loading bar, but after that I get this black screen with just white text that says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem installing Ubuntu GUI not loading?

When I try to install Ubuntu 8.10 I get that screen with the orange loading bar, but after that I get this black screen with just white text that says "Loading, Please Wait..." and under that is some info about Ubuntu and then like a command line prompt, and it just stays on that screen for like ever. I've already tried installing it like 4 times and I get the same thing each time and I waited one time for like 2 or 3 hours and still nothing happened.

I'm installing from an install dvd, which I've already checked for defects, and it says that there are none.
    Also I have Windows 7 installed on another disk if you need to know.

I did this same install on another machine a few months ago, and I didn't have this problem so I really don't know??

Just Joined!
    Just a guess but it sounds like a video card problem.
    Try installing making a different choice than the default video card when you begin the install, I think it's the vesa choice and I believe you need to use the alternate version rather than the regular DVD.

I experienced video problems when I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 in my brand new laptop last year. My friend said something about video driver/card bug. But to my surprise, I was able to make a perfect install in Ubuntu 9.10.

May I suggest you try a newer version of Ubuntu just to double check.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close