Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Should Mandrake make standard install files like Red Hat "rpm" or Windows "exe"?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that's a good idea!

2 28.57%
  • No, that's stupid!

3 42.86%
  • Dude, who cares!!!

2 28.57%
Here's a question I've been thinking about for a while. Red Hat made the "rpm" files that install the files onto the comp, right??? So why doesn't Mandrake do the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

standard install file for Mandrake???

Here's a question I've been thinking about for a while. Red Hat made the "rpm" files that install the files onto the comp, right??? So why doesn't Mandrake do the same and call theirs something like "mdk" or whatever??? I think that is a good idea. Does anyone else?? Peaceout!

Linux Engineer
    I've never used Mandrake so I'm going to ask, how DO you install things in Mandrake? Doesn't it support RPM? Someone even told me that he had APT installed on his Mandrake box.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    yeah, dun it already support RPM? it is based on RH.

i used mandrake for a while, i think it is much more easier than rh, but it is just not stable enuff.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    as a mdk user myself i would rather that they kept to a (semi)standardised rpm format. Coz if a seperate format was introduced i garauntee half the places out there wouldnt be ****ed putting out binaries for it and us mdk users would be stuck having to compile.

Anyway, i know some of th emdk packages are under different names and dont work too well with rh rpms. but mdk specific rpms end in <<packagename>>mdk.i586.rpm which is already different enuf IMO

Linux Guru
    Isn't it better to keep it down to as few standards as possible? Packaging can already be more or less a developer's nightmare as it is, with tarballs, RPMs, and APTs. The addition of yet another format wouldn't make it easier. I'd rather see that either RPMs or APTs disappeared as well. One automatic distribution format would be enough.

Linux User
    What I'd like too see was a complete new package format that every distro used, no more rpms, tgz or those that debian is using.
    And I must say that gentoo has something good.

like package -b file would install binary, and package -s file would compile it.

Linux Engineer
    Actually, I agree with Dolda's statement about keeping one format as long as dependency problems can be taken care of. Then again, there is always the source compiling method that is compatible with most systems.
    The best things in life are free.