Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I would like to create a multi boot dvd with multiple distros on it. I just got a linux mag with 5 distros on it and all of them boot!! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

creating a multi boot dvd

I would like to create a multi boot dvd with multiple distros on it. I just got a linux mag with 5 distros on it and all of them boot!! This is by far the coolest thing i've seen. How is this done? Is there a program that will let me select more than one iso image and then create a bootable disk with all the distros I want on it and create a menu that will boot to the different distros?

I found this script online called multicd.sh at multicd.sh . I'm not sure how well it works but it says it does what i'm looking for. I'll have to post back with results when I get a chance.

How did it work?

This looks like a good idea. Have you had a chance to check it out yet?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't tried it out yet. still working on some other stuff at the moment. I will keep you posted on this issue.

Linux Guru
    I used their scripts several months ago and they worked fine. The instructions are pretty clear and as they indicate, they only work with the OS's listed on their page. They also need to have the exact name for the iso as they indicate on the page.

The site keeps referencing putting the distros on CD, but am I right in assuming this would also apply to putting mutiple distros on a DVD?

Linux Guru
    The site keeps referencing putting the distros on CD, but am I right in assuming this would also apply to putting mutiple distros on a DVD?
    You couldn't get more than one full distro on a CD so, yes although you could get several smaller distros like Puppy, Slax, Slitaz...on a CD though.

There are other ways to put multiboot dvds together but usually involve a lot of trial and error if you don't have scripts as this site does.

I have no shell experience, but in the shell script they provide, could you delete the distro's you didn't want? That is where it says; set -e
    #antiX Linux plugin for multicd.sh
    if [ -f antix.iso ];then
    echo "AntiX"
    fi
    -e
    #Arch Linux installer plugin for multicd.sh
    if [ -f arch.iso ];then
    echo "Arch Linux"
    fi
    if you didn't want arch could you delete set -e
    #Arch Linux installer plugin for multicd.sh
    if [ -f arch.iso ];then
    echo "Arch Linux"
    fi
    and still have it work ok?

Also, couldn't you plug in a distro that wasn't supported by copying the script and substituting the name of that distro for Arch?
    Last edited by MASONTX; 06-18-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: left out part of script

Linux Guru
    I only used the scripts once and didn't really look at them in detail. I suppose you could delete the if statement for a particular distro but don't see the purpose? I haven't looked at the scripts in detail but I think there would be more to it than putting a different distro name in.

I'm not a hacker, so I may be way off the mark, but in the script provided, it is 3088 lines of code. This seems like a lot to basically ask "which ISO do you want to mount", provide a list of available ISO's, then mount the one selected.

Unfortunately, this script only includes a couple of the distro's I want to put on a multi-boot DVD.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast