Find the answer to your Linux question:
first time on the boards so be nice. ;o) i really like the idea of runnign linux. but its not turning out to be as simple as it sounds like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant get mandrake/knoppix to boot/install.not even safemode

first time on the boards so be nice. ;o)
    i really like the idea of runnign linux. but its not turning out to be as simple as it sounds like it should be. i cant get knoppix to boot not matter what i try . nor can i get mandrake 10.0 to install. they both just freez up shortly after it detects my system. (system= celeron 1000, 314 ram, epox mainboard, SB live, GF3 ti 500 and 40gig WD HD) i have tried skiping hardware dection with both knoppix and also mandrake but it still just locks up. the harddrive is clean and fresh formated fat32. if anyone has a idea they think i should try i would be verygreatful. thanks.

at the knoppix boot prompt dealie try:
    Code:
    expert
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    i have tried that too. still just freezes after it detects/lists system info. its like there is a hardware conflict or somthing. are there any bios setting i have to watch out for when using linux vs windows?

what kind of mobo be you using?

Just Joined!
    its a epox ep-3vsa2 it uses the via chip set. the via 133t i think.

Linux Newbie
    Are you sure the disk are ok? If not run md5 on them. There are no really BIOS settings unless you cant boot from a CD. Do other operating systems have any problems? Have you done a text install?

Just Joined!
    the disks seem ok. they burnted fine and boot ok. both knoppix and mandrake 10 having the same problem. what is md5?? a disk check of some kind? i can run the mem check on mandrake ok. and everything passes. i just gave up on the mandrake fress install and put on xp pro. no trouble at all. but i would still like to get knoppix going to try it out. text mode on both linux distros dose not work eather. just freezes after the system check.

Linux Newbie
    on install try noprobe. better yet text and noprobe. that will install.

Hmmm, very interesting, it does sound more like a hardware conflict, a MD5 is a checksum you can run on a file you downloaded to verify it transferred without any errors. Most ISO image downloads along with large EXE files these days have its MD5 listed next to the download, if they match no error occured. Only other cause I can think of is your motherboard,
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.