Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a complete newbie as far as Linux is concerned and would like to run a dual boot system with Windows 7. I have read a few tutorials on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help plz!

I am a complete newbie as far as Linux is concerned and would like to run a dual boot system with Windows 7. I have read a few tutorials on here and other sites but have so far failed to understand them

If someone out there fancies helping out i would be grateful as i think after sitting here for 2 days my wife is close to leaving me

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Do you have windows 7 already installed?
    Is this a Desktop computer in your home?
    Have you ever installed any operating system on a computer?
    Are you familiar with partitioning hard drives?
    If you already have windows 7 installed, did it come pre-installed on your computer or did you install it?
    Which of the 500+ different distributions of Linux are you interested in installing?
    What have you done so far? Have you tried installing and if so, at what point do you have problems?
    Are you expecting to just use the computer for standard home uses or do you have specific needs?
    Without more detailed information, it would be difficult to give specific advice other than read more tutorials. If you have specific questions, post back.

Hi and Welcome !

Its really easy to setup dual boot and installer of all Linux distros detect Windows OSes and setup dual boot by default. Which version of Linux are you planning to install?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you have windows 7 already installed? No
    Is this a Desktop computer in your home? Yes
    Have you ever installed any operating system on a computer?No
    Are you familiar with partitioning hard drives?No
    If you already have windows 7 installed, did it come pre-installed on your computer or did you install it? Not yet installed
    Which of the 500+ different distributions of Linux are you interested in installing?Uninstalling Linpus Linux 9.5
    What have you done so far? Have you tried installing and if so, at what point do you have problems? Nothing
    Are you expecting to just use the computer for standard home uses or do you have specific needs? Adobe CS4
    Without more detailed information, it would be difficult to give specific advice other than read more tutorials. If you have specific questions, post back.
    Yancek...have included answers to your questions within the quote.

I didn't make myself very clear,i want to uninstalllinux and install windows7 or dual boot. Sorry

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Its really easy to setup dual boot and installer of all Linux distros detect Windows OSes and setup dual boot by default. Which version of Linux are you planning to install?

I have Linpus Linux 9.5 installed as my OS(factory fit)and want to run windows7 alongside it(dual boot).

If you install Windows OS after Linux installation, it doesn't work most of the time. Windows OS must be installed in First active Primary Partition otherwise it doesn't boot up.

Is it possible for you to start from scratch?
    Post your machine's specs here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First