Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey everyone, I'm currently using Win Xp and am having a major issue with a virus. I told a friend I was thinking of reinstalling windows, but he suggested Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two question regarding installation..

hey everyone, I'm currently using Win Xp and am having a major issue with a virus. I told a friend I was thinking of reinstalling windows, but he suggested Linux. He made me a disk with Linux on it but the problem is is that the virus has locked everything up so I can't access my D drive and the cd won't start automatically. I'm also unable to run most downloads...

my questions are:

Can I safely delete the partitions that Win XP is on and install Linux on after that?

Is there a way (if I can make it work) that I could download Linux from the site and run it right off my computer without first putting it to a thumb drive or cd?

thanks
    - Anthony

Hi and Welcome !

Have you checked BIOS? Have you set CD Drive as First Boot Device in BIOS?

Can I safely delete the partitions that Win XP is on and install Linux on after that?
    You can do that easily but I would suggest you to keep Windows OS for a while. Go for dual boot. Fix or remove Windows OS and install it again. Install Linux in other partition. Linux installer will detect Windows OS and setup dual boot itself.
    Is there a way (if I can make it work) that I could download Linux from the site and run it right off my computer without first putting it to a thumb drive or cd?
    There are a few ways to do that but its not recommended for new users. Download .iso image of any distro, burn to CD and install it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hello and Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by antnj81 View Post
    ...the problem is is that the virus has locked everything up so I can't access my D drive and the cd won't start automatically
    No need to run the disc, just reboot with it in your drive.
    Check your BIOS settings, as suggested by Casper, and you should be up and running.

And, as a Linux newcomer, do try a dual boot first. Makes the transition far easier
    Last edited by jayd512; 06-18-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As someone who played with Linux for quite a few years, most people fall back on what they know.

Unless there is some compelling reason, make room for Linux (Gpart)and make it boot only to Linux. Or if you can lay your hands on a second, make a Linux Server.