Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got two hard drives and I am wanting to install RH 9 on the primary and Win2k on the secondary. My question is how do I get the bootloader ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot 2k and RH 9.0

I've got two hard drives and I am wanting to install RH 9 on the primary and Win2k on the secondary. My question is how do I get the bootloader for RH 9 to detect Win2k on the secondary HDD and allow me to choose the boot OS? I'm sure its really simple, but I'm new to Linux and am looking to do more with it.

Thanks in advance!

install that wonderful product from Uncle Bill first. Then install Linux. Part of the Linux install will be to install a boot loader ( I strongly suggest one called grub) Part of the install of grub will be to detect Windows. You will also be asked where you want grub to 'live', you need to put it on the matsre boot record (mbr) of the hard disk that your PC boot s from (as defined in the BIOS, and probably the first hard disk - which is also where windows should be installed - as windows has a requirement to be on the first hard disk).

If you would like to learn a little biy more about grub, have a look at the tutorial on this forum.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll be sure to try this out when I get home tonight.

Win2k on the primary with GRUB installed during the RH9 install

RH9 on the secondary

I'll get it going and post here if I have any questions

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    windows doesn't NEED to be on the first HD the MAP command in GRUB can TRICK Windows into thinking it is, but putting it onto the first disk would probably be easier. Best of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigdriver
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    Add these lines after the title, and beofre anything else
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.