Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought an 8GB flash drive because my D drive doesn't read DVDs. Anyway, my goal is to install Linux ubuntu and have it be my OS (replacing Windows XP). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question HELP! I think I'm doing something wrong...

I bought an 8GB flash drive because my D drive doesn't read DVDs. Anyway, my goal is to install Linux ubuntu and have it be my OS (replacing Windows XP). Last night I went to the Ubuntu homepage and downloaded the Ubuntu desktop edition 32-bit and put it on my flash drive. I followed the instructions on how to open and run it, but I was never asked about whether I want Linux to run side by side with Windows or if I want it to replace Windows. It downloaded the whole program, my computer restarted and then (on a black screen) it asked if I wanted to use Windows XP Home Edition or Linux Ubuntu. It's really frustrating because it took a while to download and install it in the first place AND to top that off, when I tried to use Ubuntu it went to a black screen and at the top said that there was an error. So I uninstalled all the ubuntu program and software and now I have a clean slate and want to try this again. I am a complete n00b. Could someone please walk me through how I can go about downloading (w/ links plz), installing and making ubuntu my ONLY OS on my computer via a flash drive? I'm desperate and I don't want to go through all of that and make the same mistake again! Thanks

- Anthony

You have installed Ubuntu inside Windows OS. If you want to replace it with Windows OS or install Ubuntu alongside Windows OS, you have to boot up machine from Flash drive.

Does your machine's BIOS support booting up from USB device?

In any case, Ubuntu should work fine but as it threw error, we need a bit info regarding your machine. Which Graphics Card do you have? Post your machine's spces here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie

Pendrive Linux

You could try this method from within Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    You have installed Ubuntu inside Windows OS. If you want to replace it with Windows OS or install Ubuntu alongside Windows OS, you have to boot up machine from Flash drive.

Does your machine's BIOS support booting up from USB device?

In any case, Ubuntu should work fine but as it threw error, we need a bit info regarding your machine. Which Graphics Card do you have? Post your machine's spces here.
    My computer is a 2003 Dell. It doesn't have the option to boot up from the USB. I tried setting it... that is, unless I did it wrong. I downloaded ubuntu onto my flash drive and I'm waiting to know what I should do next. I wish there was an easier way to do this

If your machine has internet access then you try one of the options listed over here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I decided to go with installing Universal USB Installer creating a USB stick. In it, it asks for me to find the ISO for Ubuntu. I downloaded the latest Desktop edition from the Ubuntu site and now I cannot locate the ISO :/

Where is it?

Linux Guru
    I expect it is wherever you downloaded it. Did you not note where it was going on the download? Usually I would suggest you check your Desktop or your user /home directory or a Download directory if you have one. Failing that, you could go to a terminal and run the command: find *.iso which should show any files with iso extensions.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I expect it is wherever you downloaded it. Did you not note where it was going on the download? Usually I would suggest you check your Desktop or your user /home directory or a Download directory if you have one. Failing that, you could go to a terminal and run the command: find *.iso which should show any files with iso extensions.
    I simply downloaded Ubuntu from the .com site. I have it all on my desktop, but I've sifted through it and can't find anything ending in .iso... or am I supposed to download the iso separately?

sorry for all the n00bish/dumb questions

the file you downloaded should be an .iso file. you just point it to that file. it's not inside that file.

if you can't select USB boot from your BIOS, then you might as well give up on that front

ubuntu is distributed as CD, not DVD, so you shouldn't have a problem if you can't read dvd's as long as you can read a CD