Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Ubuntu 10.04. Yesterday when I installed widows7, I lost my grub .Every time I tried to install windows running on Ubuntu machine, the grub is lost . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Restoring grub

I am using Ubuntu 10.04. Yesterday when I installed widows7, I lost my grub.Every time I tried to install windows running on Ubuntu machine, the grub is lost. Why is it so? How can I restore it?

Are there separate commands to restore grub in different versions of Ubuntu(for Ubuntu 9.04 or for Ubuntu 10.04)?

Can any advance setup be made while installing windows, so that the grub is not lost?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Windows doesn't like other bootloaders so it will always overwrite your bootloader when Windows is installed last. The different versions of Ubuntu that you mention above use different versions of GRUB. You can check these two HowTo articles for more info on working with each version under Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

You can reinstall GRUB using the Ubuntu install disk, or the SuperGRUB liveCD.
    oz

I am using Ubuntu 10.04. Yesterday when I installed widows7, I lost my grub.Every time I tried to install windows running on Ubuntu machine, the grub is lost. Why is it so? How can I restore it?
    Windows Installer has removed Linux Boot Loader (GRUB) and installed its own instructions in MBR.
    Its really easy to restore GRUB. Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, mount / partition of Ubuntu and re-install GRUB2.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
    sudo umount /mnt
    Replace /dev/sdXY with root partition and /dev/sdX with device name assigned to Hard disk.
    Are there separate commands to restore grub in different versions of Ubuntu(for Ubuntu 9.04 or for Ubuntu 10.04)?
    Commands are different in 9.04 and 10.04. 9.04 uses Legacy GRUB and 10.04 uses GRUB2.
    Can any advance setup be made while installing windows, so that the grub is not lost?
    Its not possible. In a few machines, Windows OS doesn't even boot if you install it after Linux.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First