Find the answer to your Linux question:
The company I work for has charged me with setting up linux on a server for testing various things. Now this server is a little old, and no longer in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multiple distro install problems.

The company I work for has charged me with setting up linux on a server for testing various things. Now this server is a little old, and no longer in active use for several reasons, which may be the source of some of the problems I have had.

The first distro I tried was Debian Lenny x64 web installer, in expert mode. It worked fine up until installing the kernel, which it couldn't do. I tried both kernel options and neither worked. Then I tried installing it in regular mode, and it went through the kernel fine, but then could not install GRUB or LILO. Running the disk in recovery mode showed the proper partitions, but the main / partition had only a /mnt folder in it.

We thought the server might be i386 instead of x64 (there wasn't an easy way to check, for some reason), so I got a Debian Lenny i386 web installer (the reason for the web installers is that the server doesn't have a DVD drive) and tried it. Same exact problem.

I then tried CentOS 5.5 web installer, which found the network connection but couldn't find the image site (yes I tried it several times, followed a dozen examples on the web).

Next I plugged in an external DVD drive and ran the full CentOS dvd. It got to the point where it asked "Choose where the CentOS operating system install files are located", with no option for the external DVD drive.

So then we took the time to burn all 7 of the full CentOS install disks and popped the first one in. It couldn't find the hard drive (the hard drive is an SCSI, and when we put CentOS on another server with the same drive we had to get a special bridge of some sort, this may be the problem here).

So at this point I was willing to say that the server was just useless and something was wrong with the hardware except for one point: Ubuntu 9.04 installed and ran perfectly. I suggested running an Ubuntu server edition but our server admin nearly popped a vein (not quite sure why).

Any ideas?

-Bucky24

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky24 View Post
    server is a little old, and no longer in active use for several reasons
    server might be i386 instead of x64
    the server doesn't have a DVD drive
    web installer
    plugged in an external DVD drive
    the hard drive is an SCSI
    Ok, this dose not tell us much.....
    over 4 years old?
    No idea what chip is in it?
    Is the CD/DVD SCSI?
    network card is working?
    Has working USB?
    SCSI is RAID?

Can you tell us make, model, serial number? Is this a DIY or from major builder?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by imWACC0 View Post
    Ok, this dose not tell us much.....
    over 4 years old?
    No idea what chip is in it?
    Is the CD/DVD SCSI?
    network card is working?
    Has working USB?
    SCSI is RAID?

Can you tell us make, model, serial number? Is this a DIY or from major builder?
    It might be over 4 years old, not sure. Chip is an Intel Xeon... I'm not at the office now so I can't go look what model. Don't know about the CD drive, network card does work (both of them), USB works, and the RAID is not turned on.

We decided to go with Ubuntu server because that's the only one that worked but I am still curious as to why Debian wouldn't install while Ubuntu did, since they are so similar.

-Bucky24

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Best guess is drivers.

Did you cheack initrd for both distros?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by imWACC0 View Post
    Best guess is drivers.

Did you cheack initrd for both distros?
    Like I said, I never got Debian installed.
    I'll check the Ubuntu one when I have a chance.

-Bucky24