Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, For two days, I'm trying to install a linux distro to a notebook. There are 3 distro which I've tried to install; Debian 5.0 Ubuntu 10.04LTS Mandriva 2010.0 I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to boot any linux CD.

Hello,

For two days, I'm trying to install a linux distro to a notebook. There are 3 distro which I've tried to install;

Debian 5.0
    Ubuntu 10.04LTS
    Mandriva 2010.0

I couldn't boot with none of these distros' installation cds.

On debian, (its a live installation cd) there was a problem when installing packages from cd.
    On ubuntu, I see, as I can understand, a ram icon bottom of screen, seems installing required packages for installation, and I can't pass this step.
    On Mandriva, I see just the blue boot screen and waiting for next step but after nothing.

I could install without any problem just Ubuntu 6.06 LTS which Canonical sent to me its cd for 4 years ago.

On a desktop, I couldn't be sure because of its graphics card's problem(I can't see screen clearly), there isn't any problem like that.

Where is the problem as for you? Any idea?

I'm sorry for my English, if its difficult to understand me.

Thanks from now.

sounds like you have a bad burn, do you have a USB flash drive you could install with instead?

Also, after downloading, verify md5sum of iso file and make sure it matches what is expected

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Which Graphics Card do you have?
    LiveCDs do not configure a few ATI and Nvidia Cards correctly. Try installing in Text Mode. You can try Alternate Installation CD of Ubuntu. It has text based installer and works fine with all cards.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Problem has been solved. :)

Hello (: ,

coopstah13, thank you very much. I wasn't thinking that there could be a problem about that. But, really there was. I've burned images with my friend's computer and to an another brand's cd. And now I'm writing this message from my new system. And also I was have problem with my BCM4318 wlan chipset and now it worked, too.

devils casper, thank you very much, too. Thats very logical, I was gonna do that what you say, if I fail with new cds. My notebook has ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics card.

Thank you very much for your helps.

Have a nice day.

Webmaster61...