Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install linux in a laptop i have and for some reason i think that the computer (Vaio vgn-sz240) dosent let me run linux as an OS. its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy [SOLVED] Cant Install Linux :(

I want to install linux in a laptop i have and for some reason i think that the computer (Vaio vgn-sz240) dosent let me run linux as an OS. its not the hard drive because i already installed linux on that hard drive before on another laptop. Please help me... I was really hoping to have a computer with linux on it... the linux i was trying to install was Slackware... it dont let me do it

PS. im verry new to linux... but i want to learn slackware... i even bought me a big big book called "slackware linux unleashed third edition" it has 1300 pages

Hi and Welcome !

I want to install linux in a laptop i have and for some reason i think that the computer (Vaio vgn-sz240) dosent let me run linux as an OS.
    We need a bit more info. Does installer throw any error? Could you post exact error message here?
    Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Question more info

more info:

the hard drive I want to use
    hitachi travelstar
    model:hts541080g9sa00
    80gb SATA

I want to install slackware version 12.2

vaio vgn-sz240
    Product MPN
    MPN VGNSZ240P05
    Key Features
    Installed Memory: 512 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
    Hard Drive: 80 GB
    Mobile Technology: Wi-Fi Certified
    Processor
    Processor Manufacturer: intel
    Processor Type: Core Duo
    RAM
    RAM Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
    CD / DVD
    CD / DVD Type: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    Display
    nVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 Graphics
    Screen Size: 13.3 in.
    Display Max. Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Networking
    Networking Type: Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet • Fast Ethernet

Steps i took to try and install slackware

1.booted the CD
    2.booted the default kernel "hugesmp.s"
    3.loged in as root
    4.ran cfdisk
    5.is says "opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write"
    6.and when cfdisk does open it only shows that i have 4153.77mb of free space

i did it with 3 diferent hard drives including the one that came with the computer and it says the same thing for each one
    "opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write"

can this have something to do with it: Sony® Hard Disk Drive Protection

< esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNSZ240&upd_id=2177&os_id=7 >

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD and check if it throws same error. PartedMagic is one of the best Partition Manager and its Graphics Interface make partitioning a lot easier.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

i used the parted magic live cd and started gparted

here what i did

ext2 = 109.84 gigs
    linux-swap = 1.95 gigs

then i rebooted and inserted the slackware cd

when i tried to run cfdisk it says the same thing " opened disk read-only - you have no permision to write "

it shows that i have 4153.77 mb of free space

I DESIDED TO TRY A 120GIG HARD DRIVE I HAVE... IT USE TO BE FOR A PS3

I FOUND THIS IN ANOTHER FORUM... IM GONA TRY IT AND GONA SEE IF IT WORKS!

BY: mnem0nic

Ok, I figured this one out. I installed Ubuntu to see what it could tell me about my disk system. I noticed that it referred to the cd drive as /hda and to the hard drive as /sda, so in the Slack install i used fdisk instead of cfdisk and had it list the table for dev/sda instead of dev/hda (the default in cfdisk) and Tada!, there were my partitions.

That is also why cfdisk reported the drive size of dev/hda to be about 4 gigs, because I had a dvd in the drive. (I should have clued in to that before, but I didn't )

Since Ubuntu formatted my two partitions during its install, I skipped the fdisk step and just installed Slack over Ubuntu.

to summarize, anyone who gets the "open disk read only - you have no permission to write" error from cfdisk, it's probably because cfdisk has defaulted to the wrong disk designator.

-J

linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/open-disk-read-only-slack-install-362647/

i think i might just found out what happend... i used a live cd and partitioned the hard drive (by the way i desided to use a 120gig hdd. use to be for a ps) using gparter... it worked good but when i booted the slackware linux cd and ran cfdisk it still that i didnt have access to the harddrive... well i think this is the reason why that happend

amitbpit.blogspot.com/2010/06/open-disk-read-only-you-have-no.html

i noticed this and desided to run setup since i had already partitioned my hdd... it worked good and tit showed the partitions... now im installing slackware and im w8ting to see if it will boot up on the pc!!!

solved

it worked slackware linux is running