Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All This isn't a specific Linux Problem, but all you lot seem really knowledgeable so perhaps you can help. When i press the power button the power light for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intermittent PSU Problems

Hi All

This isn't a specific Linux Problem, but all you lot seem really knowledgeable so perhaps you can help. When i press the power button the power light for the machine comes on, but nothing else happens not fans - (not even the PSU) come on and it just sits there dead. The Power indicator LED is functioning as normal, but thats it,

I'm reluctant to buy a new PSU (unless mine is truly dead), as it would mean the first purchase for my linux box, the rest being scrounged or downloaded for free

Many Thanks (In Advance)

MFTP

Hmm... it could be a "too weak" PSU, eg, you got some hardware that pulls a lot of power, and the PSU can't deliver enoguht power. could you tell us the watt rating for the PSU? (though, it's not a 100% correct measure ment of the strength of a PSU, but it gives a hunch). Did you plug some new hardware in to your system recently? (eg a new grafics card).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Hi Scientica

It is only a 'feeble' 250W PSU, but the PC Spec is only;

P3 800
    256 SDRAM
    2x 40GB 7200 IDE (on IDE 0)
    1x SONY CDRW (on IDE 1)
    an Nvidia Geforce 2 GRFX Card
    NIC (PCI)
    16Bit Snd Blaster (PCI)

and it has booted and run RH9 sucessfully in the past, i just moved it from off the floor onto my desk, and now it's stopped working.
    I have had the PSU cover off (Taking all sensible precautions) but can see nothing obviously broken / bent / damaged etc.

Any Thoughts greatly appreciated

Oh BTW - the NIC Card is new (to the system), but it has operated and booted succesfully with this in (the NIC wasn't working but that's a separate issue)

Mftp