Find the answer to your Linux question:
Bootloading and BIOS limitations As some of you may know, some BIOS' don't allow you to boot from an external device if the partition is at the back of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bios boot restriction and GRUB/LILO

Bootloading and BIOS limitations
    As some of you may know, some BIOS' don't allow you to boot from an external device if the partition is at the back of the file system. I thought BIOS limitations were history but apparently it still exists. I don't think this can be fixed with a LILO/GRUB fix?

The linux partition on my external drive resides after around 270 GB, so when I boot, GRUB goes into rescue mode with "Unknown Filesystem" error. I already tried loading the images and setting root manually to boot, but grub rescue says that "boot" command is not found. I can't even go to the normal grub mode.

Should I update the bootloader/install LILO?

Also, if there is a way to bypass this restriction without moving the partition to the front of the disk, let me know. I don't really want to back up all that data. The drive is kind of full.

Cheers

Hi and Welcome !

Which GRUB version are you using? Post the contents of grub.conf (menu.lst) and output of fdisk -l command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thanks and

GRUB 2 I guess. The bootloader that comes with Lucid Lynx (10.04 LTS /Debian) is GRUB2 and I haven't made any changes to that yet.

I'm not at home and I'll post the contents of that like 3 hours later.

Cheers.

P.S - Rough data : sdb(1,1) ntfs mount point none 320 - rest gigs
    sdb(1,2) - root 10 gigs
    sdb(1,3) - swap 2 gigs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Device sdb 320.1 gb, 255 heads, 63 sec/track, 38.9k cylinders
    sdb1 /boot id 7 NTFS
    sdb2 Linux ext4
    sdb3 Extended something
    sdb5 /swap linux

I have no idea why /boot is given to NTFS or where sdb4 went.

/boot partition should have Linux filesystem only. Actually, I have never tried to use NTFS partition for /boot.

Could you post the contents of /etc/fstab file too? Post exact output of sudo fdisk -l command so that we can check actual cylinder boundaries of all partitions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First