Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I had set my F2 as Master, and WinXPPro as Slave and when I turn the power on, it will goes to GRUB. In the GRUB there''s: Fedora Core(2.6.8-1.521) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which one to choose in GRUB??

Hi
    I had set my F2 as Master, and WinXPPro as Slave
    and when I turn the power on, it will goes to GRUB.
    In the GRUB there''s: Fedora Core(2.6.8-1.521)
    Fedora Core(2.6.8-1.521smp)
    Fedora Core(2.6.8-1.358smp)
    Fedora Core-up(2.6.5-1.35
    What are the difference between those?
    and How do I configure it so I can see my WinXPPro option to choose that harddrive?

thank you for advance

Linux User
    All those different Fedora options look like it will boot to a slight variation of the 2.6.8 kernel. In order to add windows to the line up, edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf and add something like the following:
    Code:
    title=Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Linux Guru
    The multitude of options are probably because you've installed new upgrades to the kernel after the initial installation. The kernel upgrade packages do not remove the old kernels, since in case there'd be something wrong with the new kernel, they want you to be able to boot using an old one. Since you've tried the new ones and seen that they work, you can probably remove the old kernel packages.

I'm honestly not sure if removing the old kernel packages removes the corresponding lines from the GRUB menu, though. If it doesn't, you'll have to remove them manually from /boot/grub/grub.conf.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks guys, I did install some updates, and I am still searching the way to get into the conf of grub

Just Joined!
    I still can't find the conf of grub
    when I go in the terminal, I type "su" and my "root password" so I am in root mode, and then I type "grub-install -recheck" it says "command not found"
    then I try to type "/boot/grub/grub.conf" it says "permission denied"
    how do I get into grubs conf?

Just Joined!
    I had found the grub.conf manually, but I have trouble open it.
    I can't use Open Office to open it, it says denied.
    *does Linux's folder like Windows? like in WIndows there's Program Files, and Windows folders, I found this trouble recognize this folders when I try to open grub.conf

Linux Guru
    OpenOffice probably isn't the best choice -- it's really a WYSIWYG document editor, not a text editor. Instead, su to root again, and then run "nano /boot/grub/grub.conf". Nano is a terminal based text editor, and it coincides with your screen name as well =).

Quote Originally Posted by Nano
    *does Linux's folder like Windows? like in WIndows there's Program Files, and Windows folders, I found this trouble recognize this folders when I try to open grub.conf
    I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if it is that you wonder about the directory layout in Linux, see this ancient post.

Just Joined!
    ooh i see i see, my name and the program lol I'll go try that aging, and thanks for the link that guide help me a lot

Just Joined!
    I had successfully go in the grub configuration, and now I am gonna do some research to boot my XP thanks guys

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    Code:
    title=Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    If I have Linux's Harddrive set as Master, and Window's Harddrive set as Slave, my setting will be something like this right?
    Code:
    title Windows
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast