Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello - I am new to this forum and also somewhat new to linux. I am thinking about getting a used laptop to install linux on. I really would like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IBM notebook with Intel Speedstep

Hello - I am new to this forum and also somewhat new to linux. I am thinking about getting a used laptop to install linux on. I really would like to become more familiar with this OS but cant spend a lot of money on a new laptop. here is the one i was thinkin of getting :

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...602&CatId=1064

This notebook uses Intel' s popular SpeedStep technology and i was wondering if Speed Step is supported in Linux? Also would this be a good laptop to run linux or does anyone forsee some problems such as hardware?
    thanks a lot, any input would be great.

Linux Guru
    Is SpeedStep that technology to regulate the CPU clock freq? In that case, I haven't used it myself, but the kernel config has these entries:
    Code:
      │ CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO:                                          │  
      │                                                                         │  
      │ This adds the CPUFreq driver for Enhanced SpeedStep enabled             │  
      │ mobile CPUs.  This means Intel Pentium M (Centrino) CPUs.               │
    Code:
      │ CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH:                                               │  
      │ This adds the CPUFreq driver for certain mobile Intel Pentium III       │  
      │ (Coppermine), all mobile Intel Pentium III-M (Tualatin) and all         │  
      │ mobile Intel Pentium 4 P4-M on systems which have an Intel ICH2,        │  
      │ ICH3 or ICH4 southbridge.                                               │
    Code:
      │ CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI:                                               │  
      │ This adds the CPUFreq driver for certain mobile Intel Pentium III       │  
      │ (Coppermine), all mobile Intel Pentium III-M (Tualatin)                 │  
      │ on systems which have an Intel 440BX/ZX/MX southbridge.                 │
    That sounds promising enough to me, but since I haven't tried it personally, I can't tell if there are any special cases to be considered.

Yes as Dolda said it is supported by the Kernel, You also need a program to control it I use speedfreq.

Linux Guru
    I think you can have an in-kernel speed policy handler. I think it's only handled by a user-space program in case you select the userland frequency policy. I don't really remember, though... I haven't been dealing much with CPU frequency scaling.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help.

When you say that I need a program to control it, you mean just if i want to modify the default settings? I know that on Windows that paticular computer will run at 1.13Ghz on AC power and at 733Mhz on DC power.

I was just wondering if it would work at these defaults without an add on program or will i need the speedfreq program reguardless?

Thanks again.

Linux Guru
    Rest assured that if you need the speedfreq program, it will most likely be installed by default.