Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Recently I did a wget for DreamLinux 4beta6.3, which I now cannot burn to a disk. Another issue with linux in general being just a hobby. So it got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

WGET Install / Upgrade Question For Entire Distro....

Hi

Recently I did a wget for DreamLinux 4beta6.3, which I now cannot burn to a disk. Another issue with linux in general being just a hobby.

So it got me to thinking, hence my question.

Why could a dev not set it up where you could just wget the upgrades for the main distro files themselves ?? We already do this when upgrading the apps, so why not the distro ?

Why could you not start at alpha, and just slap do a rolling upgrade into rc and beyond ? I understand the potential stability issues, but why can't we ghost the drive and hence have a backup on hand and then do this as outlined, and hence do a single install from alpha the the distro's grave ?

I am wasting four months on "Setting Up" each install, only to wind up reinstalling again. This happens in every variation I have come across. Even in stable versions, the rolling upgrade just craps the install, and the major do overs hijacks all my data. I cannot spend two weeks combing the forums for this tweak in a file or this script I needed to give my f**ked up distro cpr. lol! - And No, I don't need a whahh-mbulance.

I need deeper knowledge.

Ideas ?

I don't know about changing how distro's are distributed, but if what you want is to burn your OS and all you changes, search "How to remaster my system", if you want the ISO of your OS, you will need to download the ISO image from the Dreamlinux site.

Linux Newbie
    There are rolling distributions of both Debian and Fedora. I don't know if Dreamlinux has one, but it's based on Debian so you might try Sidux and set it up to be similar to Dreamlinux. I run Fedora Rawhide on a desktop and laptop computer and have been happy so far.
    Four months? It should take a few hours at most, unless you're doing something very specialized. Mind you my experience is with Fedora.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Question wget DreamLinux as a rolling upgrade with no reinstalls EVER from v.2.1 to v.10.7 ??.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtdriver View Post
    There are rolling distributions of both Debian and Fedora. I don't know if Dreamlinux has one, but it's based on Debian so you might try Sidux and set it up to be similar to Dreamlinux. I run Fedora Rawhide on a desktop and laptop computer and have been happy so far.
    Four months? It should take a few hours at most, unless you're doing something very specialized. Mind you my experience is with Fedora.
    Yes. Four months. It is a lot of researching and reading, often I am forced to wait till someone figures a bug out then I have the opportunity to add the fix. Questions often accompany said fixes, I am a daily user for my work. I am not yet a linux hobbyist.

I really don't wanna switch distros, I just wanna have the thing be a rolling upgrade from the cradle to the grave. Never needing to reinstall. DreamLinux is a rolling upgrade, but often major revamps require a new / fresh install, which is stupid. I spend 6 months downloading and creating files, and four months adding repro scripts and little tweaks and getting the thing running right, only to have to start over from scratch. I personally cannot recall every tweak I have ever made. When it crashes, I can't even get to the tweaks anyway.

We have mkDistro. But I just want to install DreamLinux Works 2.1 [just because I am angry] and open Terminal and type: sudo apt-get upgrade -- Enter and have a nag screen pop up saying: "Congratulations, you are now running DreamLinux 4.0Beta6.3 DE" "Would you like to run applications from 3.0 DE ? " -- Y / N ?

Just like in Firefox. Why can this not be done everywhere ?

Thanks !!!!