Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've downloaded Ubuntu, Fadora, Linux Mint and Suse, trying to run their live cd's on my old IBM A21p. Each time the screen splits vertically when the package enters the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Split Screen with All Linux Live CD's

I've downloaded Ubuntu, Fadora, Linux Mint and Suse, trying to run their live cd's on my old IBM A21p. Each time the screen splits vertically when the package enters the desktop. I'm certain that it's the ATI 128 mobile graphics card in the machine, but I don't have a clue about how to resolve the problem. I would love to run Linux on this system, but I don't have the technical background to get past the initial issue, which is the screwed up graphics. Is there an easy fix?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Does it also "split" when you try to boot/install into text mode (no GUI)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Does it also "split" when you try to boot/install into text mode (no GUI)?
    I installed Debian at one point without the GUI. There was no problem with the screen then. It's when the program goes into the desktop that the screen splits. Everything looks fine during load time until that point. I'm assuming that a driver which is probably common for all GUI's is the culprit.

I'm very bummed about this situation because I would love to run Linux Mint on this extra computer.

I pulled this off the Ubuntu site:

"Ubuntu 10.04 LTS enables the new kernel-mode-setting (KMS) technology by default on most common video chipsets. While this is a major step forward for the graphics architecture in Ubuntu, in some rare cases KMS will prevent your video output from working correctly, or from working at all. If you need to disable KMS, you can do so by booting with the nomodeset option. You can also save this setting so that it's applied at every boot by adding it to your grub config (for GRUB 2: edit /etc/default/grub and add nomodeset to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, then run sudo update-grub; for GRUB 1: edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add nomodeset to the line beginning with # kopt=, then run sudo update-grub). (533784, 541501)"

I'm sorry to say that I'm still a little confused as to how I edit these lines.

Just Joined!
    Well... It seems that the "Live CD's" were the issue. The OS wasn't working with my graphics card when I ran it from the CD. When I installed Linux Mint on my hard drive, it configured itself to the hardware. Everything works now. I even downloaded a Windows driver for my wireless card, and that work perfect too. I may never use Windows again. I like the GUI. Now I need to learn more about its nuts and bolts.

Congratulations, you just "hacked" your way into the Linux world. Feels pretty good doesn't it?
    Welcome to the forums btw.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    It's running as though it was made for the computer--very nice, Yes, I'm happy to have an OS on this computer that is stable. I tried Windows 98, but that didn't work very well, and there was no wireless connection.

Congratulations, and welcome to the world of linux.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, Masontx. I just downloaded a software package that allowed me to load pictures from my Nikkon digital camera. Everything is working so well and without much fuss. There's a ton of software out there--so much that I have just scraped the surface. I am thoroughly impressed, and once I pay my Visa bill this month, I will probably make a donation to the Linax Mint effort. I'm so happy with it. It really is a first class OS.