Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! A friend asked my help to install a complete system on his office PC. The problem is that it has no way to connect to the net because it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Complete Installation w/o Internet Connection

Hello!

A friend asked my help to install a complete system on his office PC. The problem is that it has no way to connect to the net because it has no lan card.

I was thinking of installing Mint or Ubuntu since he just needs it only for Word & Spreadsheet stuffs.

May I please ask what would be the best approach to be able to help him?

I was thinking of cloning my own Mint on a USB pen drive and dump it on his HD. But I'm not pretty sure if that would be the best approach. Or if at all will it work. May I kindly hear your thoughts on this please?

Thank you!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    I was thinking of cloning my own Mint on a USB pen drive and dump it on his HD. But I'm not pretty sure if that would be the best approach. Or if at all will it work. May I kindly hear your thoughts on this please?
    It might work, but you'll probably have to reinstall the bootloader after properly restoring the cloned image to his computer. I've cloned many Linux systems to new drives and hardware and they've always worked, although some tweaking was required in a number of cases.

I'm currently using FSArchiver and it works pretty well, but each cloning tool available for use with Linux has some drawbacks, depending on which one you use. In the long run, a fresh install right off the installation CD of any distro that doesn't need an interest connection might be the easiest option.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    +1 on Ozars post for just installing from any Live CD,Pendrive,or DVD.

You can install Ubuntu or Mint off of Live CD without internet connection as they both come with Open Office on the live CD for what he needs to do.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can install Ubuntu or Mint off of Live CD without internet connection as they both come with Open Office on the live CD for what he needs to do.
    Thank you both!

I was thinking of updating after installation but I guess since the purpose is just for word & spreadsheet, I realize your suggestion is best after all.

By the way, will I be able to set-up up printing also without a need of an internet connection? I forgot to mention this on my first post.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Depends on the printer. If it's supported out of the box, no problem. If you need a driver and there is an Ubuntu package available, you can download it to a usb stick and transfer it over. If there is a driver and it needs to be compiled, getting all the build tools can be a pain.

OpenPrinting | The Linux Foundation