Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 on my system, which already has two operating systems (Win 98SE and WinXP Pro) installed. I had installed Mandrake 8.2 earlier but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.1 restart problem

Hi there
    I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 on my system, which already has two operating systems (Win 98SE and WinXP Pro) installed. I had installed Mandrake 8.2 earlier but I was not very happy with it as it did not detect my built-in intel sound card. And not to forget that it crashed whenever I restarted or shut my system. But with Mandrake 9.1, things are different, much better I say. It detected my built-in sound card and the install process was very smooth. It took me around 18 minutes to install and kick off which is even better than XP. I was a happy user untill I tried out the game - TUXRACER. It was all nice and smooth in the beginning but when I hit the quit button, it crashed. The system would not respond. Similarly, after recovering with a reboot, I could not successfully restart. The monitor would simply go in standby mode and the PC would not restart. This was annoying .. I can't reboot my system in Linux :o . It was a shame I say. That's why I thought of posting here, seeking a solution to my problem. What could possibly be wrong, why did the game crash and why wouldn't my system restart?.
    I really want to migrate to Linux, but with experiences like these I'm afraid I will have to stick to lame, old M$ WINDOW$. Can anyone help me with my problem.

P.S: Windows has Ctrl + Alt + Del to view a list of running processes or end them. What is it for Linux?

Linux Guru
    It seems that you would be using the wrong video card driver (or that your video card driver is buggy, which, however, seems much less likely). What video card do you have and what driver are you using?
    When you start your system and the monitor goes to standby mode, wait a few seconds, and then press CTRL+ALT+F1. Report back here what you see, if anything happens.

As for your post scriptum, it depends on what environment you're using. In KDE it would be the KDE system guard, in GNOME it would be the System Monitor. In terminal mode, you can use "ps -AH" to list all running processes in hierarchical mode. Use "ps -AH | less" to output it to a pager for ease of viewing. You can also use top to see a list of some relevant processes. Use "kill <pid>" to kill a process, where <pid> should be replaced with the PID of the process as reported by ps or top.

Just Joined!
    Ah great !
    Now this freaky thing doesnot load. It reaches "Bringing up interface eth0, stores the IP address and then hangs up. I had to do a file system integrity test, as it suggested at startup and after that, I couldn't load Linux. If this keeps up then its bye bye linux

Linux User
    in redhat, and maybe mandrake(?) there is something called "interactive boot" or something. priss "I" i think it was, wen asked for it. then, i think you can choose if you want to bring up eth0 or not.
    cood luck

Linux Newbie
    Yes, mandrake has an interactive boot as well.

Just Joined!
    Yes Mandrake does have an interactive startup .. but I wasn't sure what it did exactly. Anywayz ... I went through the interactive startup ... Linux loaded finally but when I logged off, the monitor went into suspended mode and no keys would respond. I had enough of Linux, so I finally got rid of it --> Fdisk/mdr and it was bye bye Linux. I really never wanted to remove it but I was having a tuff time restarting the PC and switching users. There was something wrong with the way Linux delt with the system's Power that's why it could not restart or log off. Messed up !!