Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a linux, it has installed packages. How can I copy the entire linux with the MBR to other machine via Internet: PC1+Linux1 PC2+Windows or Linux2 PC1+Linux1->Internet->PC2+Linux1 What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to copy a linux to other pc via Internet?

Hello,

I have a linux, it has installed packages.
    How can I copy the entire linux with the MBR to other machine via Internet:

PC1+Linux1
    PC2+Windows or Linux2
    PC1+Linux1->Internet->PC2+Linux1

What if the owner of PC2 is new to Linux? Some easy way to do it with open source tools?
    I know for dd and R-DriveImage. dd is free, R-DriveImage is commerical, not expensive. What I'm not sure is what hardware will have PC2. For example, the linux1 may not detect well the video card, so no graphic environment, the graphic environment will not run well.

This will save time to install manually all packages on the PC2, just a command and PC is ready.

Thank you.

Angel

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Don't know that it will work for you, but take a look at Clonezilla to see if it might serve your needs:

Clonezilla

Hope it works out.
    oz

Just Joined!

Clonezila

Hello,

Thank you very much. Sounds interesting. It's open source and has live CD.

Angel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Making a bit-image of your system is easy. Using that image to install on a similarly configured remote system can be easy, but it cannot be done directly. You have to make the bit image, then copy it to an external device on the remote system. Then, reboot the remote system with a recovery or liveCD/DVD/USB drive so you don't mount the system drive. Finally, copy the bit image from the external drive where you copied it originally to the system drive. Voila, you have a clone of the original system, including software, users, network addresses (not a problem if you are using DHCP to get dynamic addresses, but a potential big problem if using static IP addresses - however, that is easily fixed).

I use this technique from time-to-time, and it works very well for me. If the systems are different, especially in disc configuration/size, then use something like clonezilla, which will deal with differences between the systems in a more elegant manner.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Clone

Thank you for your ideas!