Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running PCLinuxOS with no other OS installed. Thought I'd have a go at chainloading. just for interests sake. So, I opened Konsole, entered su and entered my root password. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] permission denied

I'm running PCLinuxOS with no other OS installed. Thought I'd have a go at chainloading. just for interests sake.

So, I opened Konsole, entered su and entered my root password. The command line turned red so, I imagined all was well. But when I then keyed in '/boot/grub/.menu.lst' I was refused access.

Have I done something wrong?

What are the permissions and ownership of menu.lst?
    Code:
     ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Which command did you execute to edit/view file?
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    nano /boot/gruh/menu.list
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies. guys. Here , hopefully, is the konsole output requested:

[jennifer@localhost ~]$ ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
    -rw------- 1 root root 634 2010-08-18 22:47 /boot/grub/menu.

Well, that bit of pasting worked. And, secondly, I now see what I did wrong. I didn't know that I had to execute the command with either cat or nano in front of it. The instructions on chainloading I printed out made no mention of that at all. They were simplified for simpletons, perhaps too much so.

I'll try again and let you know what happens. How and when do you have to use cat or nano in front of a terminal command?

Just Joined!
    This is the result of my terminal command, using nano, and adding the chainloading entries you see:

timeout 10
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
    default 0

title linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=be3da39c-691a-41e5-8ae7-$
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img
    title PCLinuxOS-2010
    root (hdo,0)
    chainloader +1

title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=UUID=be3da39c-691a-41e5$

title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=UUID=be3da39c-691a-41e5-8a$

Is that right, please? Also, I can't see any way of getting my changes 'accepted'. Is just closing the terminal enough?

You have to save changes before closing Terminal.
    Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file.

Just Joined!
    Thank you devils casper. The terminal save command worked well of course.

The trouble is that the chainloading bit I added to my PCLinuxOS messed things up. I couldn't boot my one and only OS at all, using the normal entry. Luckily enough a couple of goes with the 'safe mode' rescued things.

I have now removed my chainloading entries and things are back to normal.

I'll look for more complete instructions on chainloading. Doubtless this will spring more questions from me so I hope you guys will stick around.

best wishes.

Chainloading is very simple.
    Code:
    title linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=be3da39c-691a-41e5-8ae7-$
    title PCLinuxOS-2010
    root (hdo,0)
    chainloader +1
    There is a small O instead of 0 (zero) in root line. Is it a typo? Leave a blank line before title PCLinuxOS-2010.
    Code:
    title linux

title PCLinuxOS-2010
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

Just Joined!
    devils casper,

You are right. The 'o' was a typo and the instructions I had made no mention of the space I omitted.

The instructions have now gone in without trouble. Do I have to do anything when I install the second distro? Or does Grub just take care of it automatically?

Most of installers detect installed distros and setup multiboot without any problem.

There is only one exception. Installer of RedHat based distros ( RHEL, Fedora and CentOS ) doesn't detect other installed Linux distros. You have to manually add entries of other installed distros in its GRUB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast