Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, here's the backstory. My Dad has a work laptop, but it is on its last leg because since he doesn't work in the office, they don't believe he needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a file system that can "work around" HDD Errors?

Okay, here's the backstory. My Dad has a work laptop, but it is on its last leg because since he doesn't work in the office, they don't believe he needs a good laptop. Now, hand-me-down laptops are fine, but the problem with this one is the hard drive is going bad to the point where to load anything takes ages (and I'm pretty sure it is the hard drive because when I used
    Code:
    dd
    it stopped because of errors, and some S.M.A.R.T programs for windows showed problems.

My question is this, is there a file system for linux that can put up with those faults without slowing the PC to a crawl (and I mean crawl, 5 minutes minimum to start up thunderbird and get emails, and any ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu through Wubi took an unbelievable amount of time to start using ext2/3)?

Thanks, if you need to know anything else, just ask.

BTW, if it matters to anyone, about a year ago the PC worked better, and now stuff takes longer to load, which is partly why I ruled out graphics or processor problems.

oz
    forum.guy
    Just my opinion of course, but if the hard drive is failing, it's time to back up all data and replace it rather than try to work around it. You can get new laptop hard drives (good ones) for about $40 to $50 at online stores such as NewEgg and Amazon.
    oz

If smart already shows erros, throw the harddisc away.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I've never seen a hard drive that starts failing big time and then suddenly stops going bad.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When S.M.A.R.T. shows errors, the drive is FUBAR. Backup what data you can, get a new drive, and reinstall the system. Also, tell your dad to whack someone at his company upside the head for the assumption that because he doesn't work in the "office" his needs are any less important than any other employee. In fact, since he works out of the office, they should provide him with the best available new laptop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I did, backed up his documents, emails, etc. He ended up getting a Dell Precision (off-lease from Dell Financial Services and with 50% off too) for around $280, which already has gotten the higher ups to tell him "... not to use that PC for work" because of having leftover work files if he has to turn his work laptop in (so, you shouldn't make any backups? that sounds risky) and they have promised him a newer laptop (previously used) "soon". I'm not holding my breath though, since this newer laptop was supposed to materialize by the beginning of July, and the head guy doesn't want to settle for a Windows PC but wants a Mac.

So, tl;dr, thanks for the input, there really is a limit to what is fixable.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I still vote for the whack upside the head for these boneheads...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!