Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I am getting ready to build my first PC for a HTPC. I have a 80GB HDD and a 40 GB HDD laying around I want to use to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot XP and Linux Mint with 3rd HDD for sharing...

So I am getting ready to build my first PC for a HTPC. I have a 80GB HDD and a 40 GB HDD laying around I want to use to get it up and running. They are both PATA drives. I have read around about installing one OS on each HDD, but I am confused. Should I install XP as the master and Linux Mint as the slave or vice versa? XP first or Linux first?

Also down the line I plan on adding a big ol' 3rd SATA HDD that I want to be able to be seen and modified by both XP and Mint. How do I set that up?

I am more familiar with XP but I have had Mint installed on an older laptop for a while now and I am moderately fond of it. So I would like to have the option to try out both OS as my primary OS for my HTPC.

Hi and Welcome !

If you are planning to install Linux and Windows OSes in separate disks then best way is, don't plug-in both Hard disk during installation of any OS.
    After successful installation of both OSes, plug-in Linux Hard disk as Primary and Windows OS Hard disk as Secondary.

Boot up Mint and execute update-grub command. It will detect Windows OS and dual boot.

You can plug-in SATA disk anytime. Both OSes will detect it fine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot. That's way easy. I have read something about how a windows update might destroy the mbr which will cause problems with dual booting. What's the best way to prevent this?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JDUBAU55 View Post
    I have read something about how a windows update might destroy the mbr which will cause problems with dual booting. What's the best way to prevent this?
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

It happens when you install Windows after Linux, and I suppose it could happen with certain Windows updates. If having Windows on your machine is a must, there isn't any way to prevent Windows from overwriting the MBR whenever it wants to take charge of your machine, but the good news is that GRUB can always be restored quickly and easily if needed.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by JDUBAU55
    I have read something about how a windows update might destroy the mbr which will cause problems with dual booting. What's the best way to prevent this?
    I have already suggested you a setup in which both OSes will be independent of each other.
    You are going to install Linux and Windows OSes in separate Hard disks. If any thing goes wrong with one, other will boot up fine.

* Separate Hard disks, separate MBRs.
    * Linux boot loader booting Linux directly.
    * It's calling ( chainloading ) Windows Boot Loader from other disk's MBR to boot Windows OS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First