Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Debian Installation: Where to Start?

I have a Compaq SR5113WM on which I hope to install Debian Linux.
    The installation manual on Debian.org was not so helpful for me.

Does anyone know of a concise guide to help get me started?
    What else about the computer must I find out before installation?

This is what I have determined about the computer so far:

Motherboard: Asus M2N68-LA
    MOBO Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Integrated Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6150SE
    Integrated Audio: Realtek ALC888 Audio
    Audio CODEC: ALC888
    Integrated Network: Realtek RTL8201N
    Transmission Standard: 10-Base-T

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
    Processor Socket Type: AM2
    Processor Speed: 1.9 Ghz

Memory: 1 GB PC2-5300

Thanks in advance for any help!

forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

The Debian installation guide is the concise guide for installing Debian.

The thing is, Debian is a little bit more complex than certain other distros when it comes to installation, especially for new Linux users. If your distro of choice doesn't have to be Debian, I'd recommend something like Ubuntu for now and once you become more familiar with Linux, you can tackle other more complex distributions. That said, lots of new users have gotten their start with Debian, but it might have taken a few attempts to get it right.

Lots of distros, such as Ubuntu, don't require any installation manual and are menu driven during real-time installation. If you decide to go with Debian anyway, I personally recommend the business-card netinstall. Doing it this way puts just the minimal base system on your machine, and then you can add only what you want or need on top of that, keeping your system lean and clean.
    oz

Thanks for the Advice Ozar!

In that case I will go with Ubuntu for this first attempt.

Is there a distribution of Ubuntu which is similar to the Debian in the sense that it puts just the minimal base system on the machine?

My main concern is finding drivers for the system. Should they be reasonably easy to find during the course of installation?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    forum.guy
    There are some leaner forks of Ubuntu, such as Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and a few others, but they don't put only the base system on your machine.

Most device drivers are included within the kernel itself with the exception of a few proprietary drivers such as nvidia / ati video drivers, some network drivers, and maybe a few others. If you should test drive any distros from their liveCD version and your hardware works, it should also work once installed to the hard disk, although in some cases a bit of extra configuration might be required.

Hopefully, someone with the same hardware as yours will reply soon with any tips that might help to get you up and running.
    oz

I did some digging on Nvidia's website and found:

Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
    Version: 256.53
    Operating System: Linux 64-bit

Nvidia's website specifically mentions that drivers may be included in Linux distributions, and actually admits that the included drivers may perform more smoothly in the overall software environment.

Which version are you planning to install? 64bit or 32Bit OS?
    A few users reported that Driver support for 64bit Debian is not good. I am using 64bit Ubuntu ( its Debian based only ) and haven't face any driver issues yet.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Is there a distribution of Ubuntu which is similar to the Debian in the sense that it puts just the minimal base system on the machine?
    Ubuntu does offer a minimal install CD.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Minimal GNOME desktop guide.

The nvidia drivers should work fine.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Post-install ideas and proprietary multimedia info.

Downloaded Ubuntu 10.01.1 (the 32-bit version) then Burned the ISO to a CD.

Booted and ran the operating system from the CD.

All hardware drivers worked! (as far as I could tell - I'm a Linux n00b)

Additionally, the (hardware manager?) automatically suggested a specific proprietary Nvidia driver for the video chip set, and presented the option to automatically download/install.

Devils Casper: I am glad to hear some positive news about 64 bit driver support!

After installing 32-bit and becoming acquainted to Linux, then I'll try out 64-bit.

Reed9: Thanks for letting me know about the Minimal install option!

Once I am ready to attempt a minimal 64-bit installation, The minimal GNOME desktop guide as well as the Post-install ideas and proprietary multimedia info seem as though they will be extremely informative.

I marked the thread as "solved" in order to indicate that my installation questions were answered.

It seems that I inadvertently blocked anyone from posting additional replies, by marking the thread as "solved".

My Mistake!