Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to dual boot windows XP and ubuntu netbook (XP is the main OS) on my Asus eee 1005HA. I have the ubuntu on a flash drive and it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to dual boot XP and Ubuntu netbook

I'm trying to dual boot windows XP and ubuntu netbook (XP is the main OS) on my Asus eee 1005HA.

I have the ubuntu on a flash drive and it's bootable, but when I try to install, it only recognizes the flash drive and not the hard drive. How do I make it recognize my hard drive?

Thanks

In case you can't tell, I'm very new to this so a guide would be helpful.

Just Joined!
    You need to partition the hard drive, just google "free harddrive partitioner" or resizer set say 200gigs for XP and 50gigs for ubuntu...The 50gigs for ubunto set as fat32 then you should be able to see it, if not then you need to mount it usually
    Code:
    mount /dev/<insert device>

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlippiett View Post
    You need to partition the hard drive, just google "free harddrive partitioner" or resizer set say 200gigs for XP and 50gigs for ubuntu...The 50gigs for ubunto set as fat32 then you should be able to see it, if not then you need to mount it usually
    Code:
    I see that most (or all) of those require a CD rom. My computer doesn't have CD disk. Could these be set up to work with a flash drive?

EDIT: Also, will this fix the Ubuntu setup only giving me the flash drive option?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you xp on the netbook and it came pre-installed, it probably has the whole drive as one partition. I've never used xp so I'm basing this on what I've read. Usually, Ubuntu comes with a partitioner called GParted and if you can boot the Ubuntu USB, go to the tabs at the top and look for it.

Your original post is pretty vague. Could you reboot to the USB stick and note each step to post exactly what happens? At what point in the install do you become aware that it doesn't recognize your drive? Do you get through any of the installation steps?

Linux Guru
    Iinstalled Ubuntu Netbook 10.04 beside Windows XP after blowing away Easy Peasy 1.0 (Ubuntu 8.10) on a Acer Aspire One ZG5 with 160gig sata.

When I installed Easy Peasy. I used gparted to shrink XP on drive (yeah yaneck. Xp was preinstalled and took up whole drive)

If shrinking XP with gparted. Reboot back into Windows XP so it can do a chkdisk before installing Ubuntu Netbook.

Can't remember for certain. But Gparted comes in Ubuntu Netbook. Otherwise I could not have deleted Easy Peasy ( plus delete swap) and pointed installer to install to largest unallocated partition.

Works Like a charm on the Acer Aspire One. Don't Like the Netbook Desktop though. Changed login session in GDM for Gnome Instead. Much tidier for me (my preference)

I prefer AntiX though on my SSD EEEPC Netbooks though. Faster.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If you xp on the netbook and it came pre-installed, it probably has the whole drive as one partition. I've never used xp so I'm basing this on what I've read. Usually, Ubuntu comes with a partitioner called GParted and if you can boot the Ubuntu USB, go to the tabs at the top and look for it.

Your original post is pretty vague. Could you reboot to the USB stick and note each step to post exactly what happens? At what point in the install do you become aware that it doesn't recognize your drive? Do you get through any of the installation steps?
    When I boot up with the flash drive in, I old the ESC key until it comes up with a screen asking what I want to boot from (Hard drive, Flash drive, and Netword: Boot agent) I choose the flash drive and it takes me to a black screen which says "Boot from flash drive" or "install to hard drive" (If I choose this it takes me directly to the install) "Test", "Boot from first hard disk", "Advanced options" and "Help".

If I choose "install to hard drive" or load from the USB and then select the install icon, I get through the first 3 steps (Language, time zone, keyboard) before getting to step 4 the partitioning part. At this point, I would install ubuntu alongside XP, but instead of showing my hard drive and saying "This drive has windows XP installed" it says "This drive has no operating systems on it" because it's showing my flash drive instead of hard drive. If I try to install anyway, it gets to about 60% before saying there's not enough space (2gb hard drive)

Of course everything quoted here is not the exact wording, but you get the idea. Let me know if you need any more info

EDIT: I tried the GPARTED and partitioned the hard drive, but the Ubuntu installer still only shows my flash drive on :/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlippiett View Post
    Code:
    Would the device be my hard drive? what would I type that as?

And does all that go in the terminal?

Sorry about this, I'm very new to all this especially on linux.

EDIT: I'm on a netbook so I don't think I can do 250gigs. I'll probably just end up installing it over windows XP.

EDIT2: Annoyingly, it works perfectly on the the family computer. Same exact model. Unfortunately, still no luck on this one.

Linux Guru
    p28

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    P28
    That says to delete /dev/sda/1

Is that safe? It looks large and important

Just Joined!
    I'm a bit pissed because Kubuntu for netbook installs fine, but the wifi has issues.

Ubuntu on the other hand, works perfectly with my wifi but won't install.