Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I recently built myself a new computer. A AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 512 mb of ram. I installed windows 2k and it booted fine, went ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LILO and GRUB wont work on AMD Athlon 64

Hello I recently built myself a new computer. A AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 512 mb of ram. I installed windows 2k and it booted fine, went to install Linux(for multiboot system) and it crapped out on me. With Lilo it prints L then stops, with GRUB it prints GRUB then stops. I think this might be a issue with the 64 bit chip but I am unsure. Could anyone shed a light on this please?

Linux Newbie
    Well I have virtuall the same setup as you except it's an AMD 64 3500+ and more ram, and grub works just fine.

Usually when doing a dual boot system I find it a lot easier to just install linux first. Your problem most likely has to do with were you installed the boot loader, but I'm really not sure. All I can really suggest is try installing the boot loader to the MBR. But I'm not sure if that will help.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm well I have reinstalled several times, I have also tried installing the boot loader to the MBR, floppy disk and to the superblock. None of them seem to work. I however will try installing Linux first. Was there any settings that you had to change in the BIOS to get it working, I know once in the past I had a hard time getting linux installed because of a BIOS virus protection feature.

Linux Guru
    If LILO and GRUB stop like that, it's because they can't read the hard drive properly. Is there anything peculiar about your hard drive and/or its command channel?

Linux Newbie
    It's the exact board I have so I can safely say it's nothing in the bios, unless of course you've change something. Default settings work fine.

Just Joined!
    The old thing about my harddrive is that it was used. Lighting hit two computers of a clients of mine. I purchased them because the harddrives, ram and burners still worked. I cannot think of anything else that would make it not read the harddrive properly. But it does read the windows boot loader.

Linux Guru
    Well, the Windows boot loader does have fewer requirements, but it's also a lot less powerful. However, something that you should try is entering the BIOS setup and try a few settings for the access method for the hard drive. In particular, try "CHS", "LBA" and "Auto".

Just Joined!
    I tried changing between LBA, CHS and auto settings. However none of these worked. I do not feel it is a harddrive problem because I installed the boot loader onto a floppy disk(one of the options) and it still does not work.

Linux Guru
    The thing is that even if you write the bootloader to a floppy, it will still have to read some things from the hard drive (such as the kernel, the boot loader config, possible an initrd, possible the 2nd stage loader, etc.).
    Let's find out once and for all whether it's a problem with the hard drive or otherwise:
    You said that it read the Windows boot loader -- I take it that means that you have access to Windows. Try going to my home page (link at the bottom of the post) and download grub.img and rawrite.exe. Then use rawrite to write grub.img to a floppy. Then boot from that floppy and see if you get a GRUB shell.

Just Joined!
    Ok well I am not able to see the link to the grub download. However I am pretty sure its a LILO or GRUB problem. When I was using FDISK to erase all my partitions and try something new it gave me a warning that the drive had more then 1024 cylinders(9961 or something) and that this might be a problem for the LILO bootloader. The odd this is is that this distrubution works on a 40gb harddrive and a 10 which i installed yesterday. But on a 60 it does not. I am trying to find the new version of LILO or GRUB could someone let me know if this is possibly the reason it wont boot?