Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, i have burned RedHat 9 ISO images onto bootable discs via nero. Now, i have changed my boot priorities in BIOS to 1. Atapi CD ROM 2. Hard Drive. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot from cd.....

Ok, i have burned RedHat 9 ISO images onto bootable discs via nero. Now, i have changed my boot priorities in BIOS to 1. Atapi CD ROM 2. Hard Drive. My problem is that my D: drive does not work (it doesnt detect cds) and my e: drive is external USB. So when i pop my iso 1 disc into the E drive and try to bootup it just boots windows. Does it not detect the bootable disc in my external e:drive? What should i do, i am in need of help! - EnSanity

Linux Newbie

hmm

Did you check to see if in your BIOS, that your CD drive was set up to be the USB one?

Just Joined!
    well when i looked in bios, if i remember correctly there was only 1 choice for a cdrom. Is this true? if not tell me and ill check again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The BIOS won't be able to use a USB CDROM at all, unless this is some very special BIOS, but I've never heard of a BIOS capable of doing that.
    What's wrong with your internal IDE drive? Shouldn't you try to fix that one instead?
    You could try writing a boot floppy with the image on the CDs, and boot from that one. The kernel might (note _might_) be able to detect the USB CDROM, but I wouldn't bet too much that RedHat ships a boot kernel that is USB capable.

Just Joined!
    i dont know whats wrong with my internal one, my e: drive that was internal completly broke a few weeks ago, but know my internal d drive wont read anything. my comp still detects it etc but it cant read anything. Would you know how to fix this? - EnSanity

Linux Guru
    It could be just dust on the lens or something. Try dismantling it and cleaning the optical components a bit (at least blow on them a little).
    Anyway, if you can't get it to work, just use a boot floppy instead.

Just Joined!
    ill try that

Linux Enthusiast
    try using a cd-rw disc instead.

Just Joined!
    instead of a cd-r? even if that made a difference, my d drive still cant detect cds of any kind.

Linux Enthusiast
    sorry, I missed that part, I read more of your info and was wondering if you could clarify exactly what your system is comprised of...

just your drives and any peripherals that are plugged in
    also if you have any OS's installed already and what your partitioning is right now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast