Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been enjoying transcoding media files lately and because of this new interest, I did a little searching on how to record TV shows and have stumbled upon MythTV. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MythTV (Mythbuntu) Complete Setting-up

I've been enjoying transcoding media files lately and because of this new interest, I did a little searching on how to record TV shows and have stumbled upon MythTV. I was able to install MythTV Frontend using Synaptic and now I have a nice GUI of Mythbuntu in my Mint 7.

My question is that I don't exactly know how to proceed from here. Like, should I also configure the backend or was it also configured during my installation. Second is I want to start trying recording TV shows in my HD. I'm afraid I don't have any idea how to proceed from here. What wires or connectors should I get my hands on in order to connect my Laptop to my cable box?

Would appreciate any help or if I may not be sounding too abusive , I hope someone can walk me through the complete installation.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just executed the below and it seems I got the back-end already runningl FWIW

jun@jun-laptop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    [sudo] password for jun:
    * MythTV server already started; use restart instead.
    jun@jun-laptop ~ $
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never install MythTV so can't help with it directly, but have you tried the documentation pages regarding configuration at the MythTV website?

MythTV, Open Source DVR

It appears to be fairly comprehensive in nature, so hopefully it will be helpful.
    oz

Thanks for the site oz. It seems to be very comprehensive. Hope I can make mine work in no time.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Please keep us posted Nujinini, and let us know if this is a suitable project for beginners, or should be reserved for intermediate or advanced users.

Well, if you figure out how to get HD out of cable box in digital form I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Please keep us posted Nujinini, and let us know if this is a suitable project for beginners, or should be reserved for intermediate or advanced users.
    Hahaha, I was kinda hoping you'd drop by because I read your thread made July regarding MythTV and I wanted to ask you the same question above . Anyways, hope you can also check the site ozar gave. Maybe there are some things you might be able to understand better than me or perhaps see something I might overlook and vice versa. Might be more effective if we do it together and update each other.

Or better still if some advance user would also would join in hopefully and set his machine up with us. Calling on the gurus
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Unfortunatly, myth tv is still in my someday pile, though as soon as I get my new computer set up the way I want and switch out my old one for the grandkids computer, I will have a box to experiment with.

It's not hard, really. I recall I had no experience with MySQL before setting up MythTV. Not sure if this is a problem with Mythbuntu at all. Anyway, setting up the database manually was the hardest part for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    It's not hard, really. I recall I had no experience with MySQL before setting up MythTV. Not sure if this is a problem with Mythbuntu at all. Anyway, setting up the database manually was the hardest part for me.
    You were able to set-up yours? How's it working?
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I started with buying this card HD-5500.
    Then I rebuilt my kernel to include drivers for it.
    Next step was installing MythTV. Doing it Gentoo way meant I had to set up manually that darned MySQL database.
    Rest was easy, configured the backend, configured the frontend, signed up with Schedules Direct.
    Have been watching/recording since then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast