Find the answer to your Linux question:
3 partitions (in order): Windows 7, CentOS and shared data partition. I need to increase the size of the Windows 7 partition (c:\windows\winsxs seems to be something not easily remedied). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual CentOS, Windows 7 boot. Had to delete CentOS partition and no grub menu.

3 partitions (in order): Windows 7, CentOS and shared data partition.

I need to increase the size of the Windows 7 partition (c:\windows\winsxs seems to be something not easily remedied).

GParted didn't work in moving things around (bad sector) so I wiped out its partition (# 2 out of 3) and I was able to increase the size of the Windows 7 partition (I can reinstall CentOS easily and not much work lost).

Except ... no more grub menu (unsurprising). This incantation does allow me to boot into Windows 7.

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    grub> makeactive
    grub> chainloader +1
    grub> boot

Is there any way of rebuilding the grub menu short of reinstalling CentOS (5.5)?

Try the Supergrub disk
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    Or, try parted magic, it has Supergrub too.
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    Since you've deleted CentOS, why not just delete grub altogether and use the Windows boot loader? I think you need the Windows install disc for this though.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Is there any way of rebuilding the grub menu short of reinstalling CentOS (5.5)?
    You can rebuild GRUB Menu now because all of its stage and conf files have been deleted with CentOS. As MikeTbob suggested, re-install Windows 7 boot loader.

I am do not know if SuperGRUB CD supports Windows 7 or not. It's worth to try it first. In case it doesn't work, try this method to fix Windows 7 boot problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First