Find the answer to your Linux question:
Tried to install but, system crashes abnormally when selecting packages. Get error "type read: invalid argument pfd:7 install exited abnormally" this occurs after entering setup format packages to install. This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install mandrake 9.0 on digital venturis gl 6200

Tried to install but, system crashes abnormally when selecting packages. Get error "type read: invalid argument pfd:7 install exited abnormally" this occurs after entering setup format packages to install. This also happens with Mandrake 9.1. Mandrake 7.1 installs ok. Any ideas why!!

Linux Guru
    Check the log terminals for anything. They are on VT 3 and 4. So press CTRL+ALT+F3 or CTRL+ALT+F4 to look at them.

Just Joined!
    I can't get to VT3 or 4 because the OS never installs. I am trying to do a clean install on the pc, hard drives are re-formatted. Everything is ok until it reaches "finding packages to install", the error message is as originally posted, the computer then states "press enter to reboot system" i.e. nothing has been installed onto the hard drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I meant that it should be done during the installation. You know, the installer runs on a Linux kernel as well, so there is full support for VTs.

Just Joined!
    Error logs are :-

Error: Cannot open conflictname index using db3 - no such file or directory

Error: Cannot open Basename index using db3 - no such fileor directory

type read: Invalid argument pdf7: install exited abnormally

On 1 attempt to install I got :-
    crash dump, type gdb XF86_FBDev //core

Could not type above at prompt because system had crashed.

I assume this is a graphics card failure?

Linux Guru
    The XF86_FBDev error was probably just some one-time random failure that can happen during installation. The usual errors are clearly with the RPM initalization. I don't know why, though. Do you get any unusual kernel messages on VT4 when it happens?

Just Joined!
    No unusal errors on VT4, but following errors on other VT's :-
    VT1 - X server crash I assume this is because of the errors on VT3 ?

VT3 - error "unknown package" for all packages after hdlist1.cz then stops with message "get file mandrake/base/compssusers

VT4 - seems ok stops at message <6> adding swap : 248968k swap space (priority -1)

The install cd's where created from a linux format dvd using jigdo

I still think it is the machine setup that is causing the problem and no the install cd's ?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that these CDs are error free? I'm getting the feelings that this isn't supposed to even be able to happen on error-free CDs.
    Does this version of mkd have the same CD check feature that later versions (8 and 9) of RH have? In that case, have you used it?

Just Joined!
    I burned the install cd's again using traxdata cd's (previous cd's were infiniti professional reference series), but again get same error's as before, therefore don't think it's the cd's, but maybe it is?. What is this cd check feature, is it md5 sum?. I am going to try and install on a different machine (dell precision 610) to see if it really is the machine.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tips Dolda. Sorry I haven't posted, but I have been away and busy with other things. Anyway I have since installed mdk 9.0 onto a dell precision box with the same cd's - no problem, therefore cd's are ok, also installed slackware 9.0 onto the digital machine ok. Must be that mdk 9.0 doesn't like the digital m/c for some reason. I am not pursuing this any further as I can use mdk on the dell.
    Thanks again Dolda for the trying to help me with this problem.