Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed XP 1st, then SUSE 11. Now I installed RHEL5 and during installation I only created /(root) partition bcoz while creating swap and /boot for redhat threw error. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Recover Suse Grub

I have installed XP 1st, then SUSE 11. Now I installed RHEL5 and during installation I only created /(root) partition bcoz while creating swap and /boot for redhat threw error.
    And it says it is installing the /boot on /dev/sda.

Now my system is able to boot xp and redhat not suse. How will I recover suse grub menu ,so that I can boot all 3 OS.

Code:
    fdisk -l
    /dev/sda1   *           NTFS
    /dev/sda2                NTFS
    /dev/sda3                w95
    /dev/sda4                 linux
    /dev/sda5                 swap/solaris
    /dev/sda6                 linux
    Here Redhat is on /dev/sda4 and suse is in /dev/sda4 and the swap for suse is /dev/sda5

Here Redhat is on /dev/sda4 and suse is in /dev/sda4
    In which partition did you install RHEL?

There is a problem with RedHat based installers. These installers don't detect other installed Linux distros. You have two options now.
    1) Mount / partition of SuSe in RHEL, copy first title block ( first title, root, kernel and initrd lines ) from /boot/grub/menu.lst file and paste in /boot/grub/grub.conf file of RHEL. You don't have to re-install SuSe boot loader.

2) Re-install SuSe GRUB and copy title block of RHEL from its grub.conf file and paste in SuSe's menu.lst file.

If you want to re-install GRUB of SuSe, boot up from SuSe installation CD/DVD, select Recovery and execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    exit
    First method is better than second, imho.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    In which partition did you install RHEL?

There is a problem with RedHat based installers. These installers don't detect other installed Linux distros. You have two options now.
    1) Mount / partition of SuSe in RHEL, copy first title block ( first title, root, kernel and initrd lines ) from /boot/grub/menu.lst file and paste in /boot/grub/grub.conf file of RHEL. You don't have to re-install SuSe boot loader.

2) Re-install SuSe GRUB and copy title block of RHEL from its grub.conf file and paste in SuSe's menu.lst file.

If you want to re-install GRUB of SuSe, boot up from SuSe installation CD/DVD, select Recovery and execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    exit
    First method is better than second, imho.

Sorry suse in /dev/sda6

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As I suggested in last post, mount /dev/sda6 partition in RHEL and add an entry of SuSe in RHEL's GRUB Menu.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    As I suggested in last post, mount /dev/sda6 partition in RHEL and add an entry of SuSe in RHEL's GRUB Menu.
    I have tried that adding in grub.conf ,from menu.lst of suse . But it doesnot boot and shows errors and prompt to reboot ,while booting from (hd0,5) .

Post the contents of both files here.
    /boot/grub/grub.conf of RHEL and /boot/grub/menu.lst file of SuSe.