Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just migrating to linux but i dont want to give up linux just yet so i've stuck in a 2nd hard drive to install linux on which i've done, now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiboot windows and linux

Just migrating to linux but i dont want to give up linux just yet so i've stuck in a 2nd hard drive to install linux on which i've done, now i have windows on one hard drive and linux on the other but my computer boots straight onto linux. I need the option to choose which os to boot into on startup which i've heard GRUB is the best option but i have no idea how to go about setting this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    There are hundreds of different Linux distributions and we need to know which one you are using to help. You probably just need to edit the Grub configuration file but, without knowing which distribution and therefore which version of Grub you have, it would all be guess work. Probably need to map your windows drive in Grub.

Boot Linux, login as root and run the command "fdisk -l" (without quotes, lower case Letter L in the command). You should have either a 'menu.lst' or 'grub.cfg' file in the /boot/grub directory. Post whichever one you have.

Hi and Welcome !

We need more info. Which Linux distro/version are you using? Have you tried to press SHIFT key at startup? Does any type of boot menu appear at startup on pressing shift or any other key?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi, cheers!
    I've try'd Ubuntu and fedora, but i'm sticking with Ubuntu for the time being. Rather than using two drives I opted to try partitioning my original drive and running both from there and it seems to have sorted itself out, apart from a slight problem with windows restarting when I turn the screen off now but that's a whole different issue.