Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, My company has just created a great Linux distribution which is designed at Linux newcommers. It's easy to use and looks good. We would like to implement an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating an installer?

Hi there,

My company has just created a great Linux distribution which is designed at Linux newcommers. It's easy to use and looks good.

We would like to implement an easy to use installer for the distribution. Is anyone able to do this for us?

Cheers

Chris

Linux Engineer
    What have you got in mind..??

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Basically we are after a graphical installer that is suitable for not technical people.

Something similar to Mandrake or RedHat, but a lot more simple.

Something that's quick, easy and hides all of the technical code etc.

Cheers

Chris

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing that the easiest thing to do would be to take the RH installer (anaconda) and modify it to suit your needs. I'm not going to do it, though. User interaction, especially graphical such, is _really_ boring.

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

How can I go about implementing anaconda into our distribution?

Do you know of anyone or any companies that could do this for us?

Cheers

Chris

Linux Guru
    I'm not very into these commercial things, since I almost only use computers at home, but I guess that if I were to do this, I'd ask RedHat first. I don't know many companies at all that do these kinds of things, really.
    Maybe someone else in this forum would care to do it.

Linux Engineer
    I read some posting on redhat about other users that have wanted to use anaconda for their own use, its somehow protected by redhats trademark but you can use it if you dont distribute your linux cd:s with any redhat logos or something on it.

But its a swamp to figure out all thoose trademark rules if you are not a lawyer..and im not so that you have to dig out yourself. Im interested to help you though, if you can find any good program to use....will look on the commmunity my self to see if i can find any.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Hi Andutt,

Thanks for your reply and your kind offer.

I came across this system which looks ideal...

http://www.progeny.com/products/pgi/

It wouldbe great if you could help us to implement this.

I'll explain a little about what we're doing.

We are creating a Linux distribution which is aimed at Linux newcommers (similar to Lindows and Lycoris). The difference is that we will not be charging. Our aim is to gain a share of the OS market, and give Microsoft some real competition.

The more people that migrate to Linux, no matter which flavour, the more companies will make their peripherals and hardware Linux compliant.

If you need anymore info, please e-mail chris@studentdesktops.com or MSN - molerdesign@hotmail.com

Cheers

Chris

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismole
    (similar to Lindows and Lycoris). The difference is that we will not be charging
    Are you aware that Lycoris doesn't really charge for their distro? Just like every other distribution, they only charge for tech support. You can still download it for free, but you'll have to search for it under the name Redmond Linux.
    At least that's the idea that I've got, but I do know that they seem to imply a lot of payment on their site. Maybe I'm wrong and they have changed their licensing?