Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello again, Basically I have been completely unable to install any distro bar those 2 (OpenSuSE 11.2 and Mandriva can't remember what version). I tried Ubuntu lucid lynx and Maverick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't install any distro but OpenSuSE and Mandriva

Hello again,

Basically I have been completely unable to install any distro bar those 2 (OpenSuSE 11.2 and Mandriva can't remember what version).

I tried Ubuntu lucid lynx and Maverick Meerkat, Mint 8 (helena) and 9 (isadora), fedora 12 and 13 and even....windows (I know that's not linux but meh).

When attempting to install Ubuntu and Mint I get the fabled errno 5 error. I have tried using 4 different optical drives, I burnt it at slowest possible speed I even used a usb to boot it and still somehow copped the errno 5 error (which is somewhat humorous when it tells me to make sure my cd/dvd drive is ok and i'm using a usb stick) I tried it on 2 different HDD's (both in this computer) 1 a 40gb the other a 1TB. I tried using sony DVD's, Verbatim DVD's and TDK DVD's I even tried using Verbatim Cd's.

When I attempt to install Fedora I get a (sorry as I can not remember the exact error message) cannot copy image from live cd error (or something along those lines) at around 54%.

With windows (again I know it's not linux but it might give some insight into what is actually going on) I get a blue screen of death before first boot EVERY SINGLE TIME and then it just continues to happen, this was on xp and 7.

My only idea I have as to what is happening is that my computer hates me and just likes driving me up the wall for kicks. Something tells me that's not overly possible so I come here looking for your help and support.

Lastly and ever so slightly off topic, if I manage to get another distro to install how do I stop it from killing my bootloader and how do I make that OS appear in my current bootloader.

Specs are as follows:

MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245
    GPU: Radeon HD5770
    RAM: Corsair VS2GB1333D3 2GB (1333MHz) DDR3 RAM, Non ECC Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V
    PSU: 600 watt shark
    HDD: West Gate 1TB 7200RPM SATA2

Again off topic and I'm sorry to ask so many different questions in this one thread but how do I make a sig on this site so I can chuck my specs in it and not have to type them out every time I seek help?

Thank you for your time.

Linux Guru
    If I understand you correctly, you have been able to install Opensuse 11.2 as well as some version of Mandriva in the past successfully, correct?

Currently, you only have Opensuse 11.2 as an operating on the computer, correct?

The Error #5 you are referring to is the Grub Error, partition table invalid or corrupt?

Could you post your partition information, log in as root (su -) enter password, run command fdisk -l and post the output here. I don't know if this will be much help but, it is a starting point.

In regard to your question about installing bootloaders on a second, third,etc. distribution, you would need to select to install the bootloader of additional distros to their root partition. You could then add an entry to the Opensuse menu.lst if you want to use its bootloader. There are different ways of doing this but the one thing is that you can only install the bootloader from one system to the master boot record.

It would help if you try another installation if you kept a pen and paper handy and took notes of every step. That way if you have an unsuccessful install you will have details to help someone help you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you have been able to install Opensuse 11.2 as well as some version of Mandriva in the past successfully, correct?

Currently, you only have Opensuse 11.2 as an operating on the computer, correct?

The Error #5 you are referring to is the Grub Error, partition table invalid or corrupt?

Could you post your partition information, log in as root (su -) enter password, run command fdisk -l and post the output here. I don't know if this will be much help but, it is a starting point.

In regard to your question about installing bootloaders on a second, third,etc. distribution, you would need to select to install the bootloader of additional distros to their root partition. You could then add an entry to the Opensuse menu.lst if you want to use its bootloader. There are different ways of doing this but the one thing is that you can only install the bootloader from one system to the master boot record.

It would help if you try another installation if you kept a pen and paper handy and took notes of every step. That way if you have an unsuccessful install you will have details to help someone help you.
    Yes They are the only 2 OS's I have managed to get working properly on this pc.

The error I was getting is:
    Code:
    The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
    The errno wasn't a typo, it's weird I know.

Code:
    localhost:/home/vikeyev # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0008a60b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         262     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2   *         263        2873    20972857+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda3            2874       62075   475532227   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4           62075      121602   478151681    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5           62075      120837   472008704   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6          120837      121602     6141952   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    I don't know why I have so many boot devices if it's just an opensuse pc.

Linux Guru
    I don't know why I have so many boot devices if it's just an opensuse pc.
    You have three partitions with data, sda2, sda3 and sda5. You would have a root partition for Opensuse and Mandriva and the other may be a /home or data partition?

sda2 is marked as active (denoted by the asterisk = *) which is usually only necessary with windows. Not a problem.

You have two swap partitions and only need one regardless of the number of Linux systems you have. You could delete sda6 but that would have nothing to do with your current problem. Don't delete the swap on sda1 as that will change the numbering of the other partitions.

Not sure what the problem is? Have you tried cleaning the CD/DVD lens? Do you have another drive you can try?

Just Joined!
    You have three partitions with data, sda2, sda3 and sda5. You would have a root partition for Opensuse and Mandriva and the other may be a /home or data partition?

sda2 is marked as active (denoted by the asterisk = *) which is usually only necessary with windows. Not a problem.

You have two swap partitions and only need one regardless of the number of Linux systems you have. You could delete sda6 but that would have nothing to do with your current problem. Don't delete the swap on sda1 as that will change the numbering of the other partitions.

Not sure what the problem is? Have you tried cleaning the CD/DVD lens? Do you have another drive you can try?
    I tried 4 different drives but I don't think that was the problem. I was reading around a bit and someone on the Ubuntu forums said that it should work if I try the alternate cd instead of the live cd (spewin to because I wanted mint and they don't have an alternate cd). Gave it a try and 10 hours later I have a working ( at least I think so) Ubuntu install. For some reason the installer kept freezing when it got to the formatting part, I tried using my xp cd to format it and then install ubuntu but still got the same problem it just kept freezing at 33% and wouldn't continue no matter how long I left it. I attempted to install Mint 9 (Isadora) again and got the same errno 5 error.

Chucked the Ubuntu alternate cd in once again and after about 3-5 mins it finally passed the formatting part (not sure why it decided to finally work after failing a Mint install but I'm not about to complain). But then I started having trouble with the installing software part, it just kept failing over and over again no matter how many times I retried it. So I restarted the installation multiple times and after awhile it just stopped failing and actually went through, completed the install grub boot loader and everything.

Now that that's out of the way, If I wanted to install OSX (which uses the chameleon boot loader *I think*) How would I stop it from killing my current boot loader and how would I add it into the grub boot loader?

Also do you have any idea as to what could have possibly been causing the problems in the first place?

Thank you for all your help thus far .

Linux Guru
    I tried using my xp cd to format it and then install ubuntu
    I don't see how that would work. xp cannot, AFAIK, format to a Linux filesystem although the revere is not true.

Hard to say what the problem(s) might have been. It's probably a good idea to take notes during installs. Particularly if you have errors, note the exact error message and often googling it you will find a solution. If you don't have any problems with the install, you have your own mini-install-tutorial.

It might have been a bad download, bad burn but since you have tried several different operating systems, maybe not?

I've seen macs in computer stores and that is the extent of my knowledge, nothing. I have seen web sites regarding dual or multi-booting with Linux/mac. You might again try googling this subject using whatever version os OSX you have in the search.

Just Joined!
    I don't see how that would work. xp cannot, AFAIK, format to a Linux filesystem although the revere is not true.

Hard to say what the problem(s) might have been. It's probably a good idea to take notes during installs. Particularly if you have errors, note the exact error message and often googling it you will find a solution. If you don't have any problems with the install, you have your own mini-install-tutorial.

It might have been a bad download, bad burn but since you have tried several different operating systems, maybe not?

I've seen macs in computer stores and that is the extent of my knowledge, nothing. I have seen web sites regarding dual or multi-booting with Linux/mac. You might again try googling this subject using whatever version os OSX you have in the search.
    Ok, thanks for all of your help.