Find the answer to your Linux question:
How to install kernel-source and gcc? Because if i want to compile module for installing Linux* Base Driver i've to install them first. And then this is what happen when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[ASK] Install kernel-source and gcc for driver installation

How to install kernel-source and gcc?
    Because if i want to compile module for installing Linux* Base Driver i've to
    install them first.

And then this is what happen when i tried to compile:

[root@localhost src]# make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/build SUBDIRS=/root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-194.el5-x86_64'
    CC [M] /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/at_common_main.o
    In file included from /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/at_common.h:4,
    from /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/at_common_main.c:1:
    /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/kcompat.h:1575: error: redefinition of ‘struct napi_struct’
    make[2]: *** [/root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/at_common_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-194.el5-x86_64'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

I don't get what's going on,so maybe it's happened because i haven't install
    the kernel-source and gcc.

I hope that there's anyone who can help me
    Last edited by froggyugly; 10-21-2010 at 04:30 PM.

I would guess that it is a problem with the code, seeing as how it ran make, got to a line with CC, and tried to compile but threw an error /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/kcompat.h:1575: error: redefinition of ‘struct napi_struct’

can you show source code of what you are trying to compile?

in any case, you need to tell us your distro and version so we can tell you how to install GCC and kernel headers if necessary

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Actually, to build drivers you should not need the full kernel sources unless you have some specific dependencies on the physical code implementation. Normally, all you need is the kernel development package (headers) to build your kernel module(s). Also, gcc is probably already installed on your system, and unless you want to use a non-supported gcc version (like the latest 4.5.1) you should be good to go. Just try to execute the command gcc --version and see what you get.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I would guess that it is a problem with the code, seeing as how it ran make, got to a line with CC, and tried to compile but threw an error /root/AR1FAmily-linux-v1.0.1.13/src/kcompat.h:1575: error: redefinition of ‘struct napi_struct’

can you show source code of what you are trying to compile?

in any case, you need to tell us your distro and version so we can tell you how to install GCC and kernel headers if necessary
    Actually, to build drivers you should not need the full kernel sources unless you have some specific dependencies on the physical code implementation. Normally, all you need is the kernel development package (headers) to build your kernel module(s). Also, gcc is probably already installed on your system, and unless you want to use a non-supported gcc version (like the latest 4.5.1) you should be good to go. Just try to execute the command gcc --version and see what you get.

i'm using centos 5.5..
    the source code is source code for the Atheros ethernet driver.
    now i've changed the Atheros ethernet card with Intel ethernet card.
    and i still got the problem with installing the driver, because after i read the README, it can be installed if the centos has already the kernel-source and kgcc..

but this case is different when i got few days ago..
    when i still use the Atheros ethernet card, in network configuration adepter column, it didn't show the Atheros, but with Intel it did.

the next problem is how do i install the kernel-source and kgcc?
    while the centos cannot connect to the internet.
    Last edited by froggyugly; 10-26-2010 at 12:26 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For help building a kernel on CentOS, read this: HowTos/Custom Kernel - CentOS Wiki
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thank you to both of you so much for helping me.
    now i'll try next solution.